Re: [quenya] two questions

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
      --- briyo2289 <briyo2289@...> wrote:
      > is Aripolderon an acceptable quenya name meaning
      > "noble strong
      > one"?
      >
      > also does anybody know the word for
      > "property"?

      Hi,

      I would say Arapoldo - it's simpler and more
      appealing, to me at least.
      As for property - do you mean in a general sense, as "
      a possessed thing"; then maybe _harma_ "treasure"
      could be applied to this meaning as well, as it comes
      from 3AR- "possess". (Etym)
      Or if you mean something like "estate", then there is
      the root SAT- "set aside, appropriate for a special
      purpose" (VT 42), from which the Sindarin noun _sant_
      is derived, meaning something like "enclosure, garden,
      owned land" - maybe extrapolated into Quenya it could
      be *santa, with the same meaning.

      Any opinions from the more knowledgeable out there?

      =====
      Thomas Ferencz

      "S�ve or, tambe n�n."

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com