two questions

  • briyo2289
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2003
      is Aripolderon an acceptable quenya name meaning "noble strong
      one"?
      also does anybody know the word for "property"?

      thanks

      Bush,Cheney'04
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
        --- briyo2289 <briyo2289@...> wrote:
        > is Aripolderon an acceptable quenya name meaning
        > "noble strong
        > one"?
        >
        > also does anybody know the word for
        > "property"?

        Hi,

        I would say Arapoldo - it's simpler and more
        appealing, to me at least.
        As for property - do you mean in a general sense, as "
        a possessed thing"; then maybe _harma_ "treasure"
        could be applied to this meaning as well, as it comes
        from 3AR- "possess". (Etym)
        Or if you mean something like "estate", then there is
        the root SAT- "set aside, appropriate for a special
        purpose" (VT 42), from which the Sindarin noun _sant_
        is derived, meaning something like "enclosure, garden,
        owned land" - maybe extrapolated into Quenya it could
        be *santa, with the same meaning.

        Any opinions from the more knowledgeable out there?

        =====
        Thomas Ferencz

        "S�ve or, tambe n�n."

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com