Re: [quenya] help

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 27, 2003
      --- "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

      > On Tuesday, August 26, 2003, at 04:27 PM, Atwe
      > wrote:

      > First, note that the _attested_ stem -- i.e., the
      > stem as actually
      > given in Tolkien's writings -- is _apsene-_ 'remit,
      > release, forgive'
      > (VT43:18, VT44:23), not **_apsen-_.

      You are right, of course, the stem is _apsene-_ ( I
      wonder if Latin absolvere had any influence on this?)

      Second, this
      > assertion assumes that
      > _apsene-_ has the present participial stem
      > *_aps�na-_, which is not in
      > evidence.

      Well, it could be **aps�na only if it were apsen-,
      wich it is not.

      Thanks for the valuable correction!

      =====
      Thomas Ferencz

      "S�ve or, tambe n�n."

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 27, 2003
        On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 04:17 AM, Atwe wrote:

        > --- "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Second, this assertion assumes that _apsene-_ has the present
        >> participial stem *_apséna-_, which is not in evidence.
        >
        > Well, it could be **apséna only if it were apsen-, wich it is not.

        Well let's not be too hasty! ;) It _might_ have such a participial
        stem, if for no other reason than analogy; so I wouldn't go so far as
        to label *_apsénala_ as erroneous.

        ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
        Ars longa, vita brevis.
      • princess_quetta
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 5, 2005
          Hello. I was wondering if anyone knows of a book or website that
          illustrates the letters in script. I would like to learn to write
          them that way, if possible. Thank you.
        • Pityon Lastalon Mithrendir
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 6, 2005
            Hey!

            There is a very good site in Polish:
            www.tengwar.art.pl
            but you can also have a look at The Council of Elrond
            www.councilofelrond.com
            where you can find the courses and also download "Quenya Tengwar" in PDF
            (first you will need to register for free and then in "My Account" you
            will have acces to "Language Workbook" - "Quenya Tengwar" is just below
            lesson 26)

            Greetings!!!
            P.
            www.paxel.prv.pl