[quenya] Aiya!

  • Zulema Amanda Gaido
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 19, 1999
      Aiya!
      Essenya naa Angasuule, naan Faanalondeo i naa Tyelepeasse(1). Aiquen
      (2) naa cuina? ;) Meeran istie Quenya, ar intyan elye [too] (3)!
      Aiquen meera envinya sinome? ;)

      1) Faanalondeo = Bahia Blanca, Tyelepea = Argentina (still undecided,
      though).
      2) is 'aiquen' correct for somebody/anybody?
      3) a word for 'too'?
    • Helge K. Fauskanger
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 20, 1999
        > Aiya!
        > Essenya naa Angasuule, naan Faanalondeo i naa Tyelepeasse

        Aiya len! Inye naa Ainon.

        > (1). Aiquen (2) naa cuina? ;)

        Inye ea sinome.

        > Meeran istie Quenya, ar intyan elye [too] (3)! Aiquen meera envinya
        sinome? ;)

        Yee. A envinyatalme sina men! (Anwave NAAS vinya; laa ea maure envinyata
        ta...)

        > 1) Faanalondeo = Bahia Blanca, Tyelepea = Argentina (still undecided,
        > though).
        > 2) is 'aiquen' correct for somebody/anybody?

        Naas i ammaara quetta ya haryalme ;-)

        > 3) a word for 'too'?

        I QL harya _yando_ ("also").

        - Ainon.
      • Tirno
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 22, 1999
          > Aiya!

          yando teeca inye "Aiya quettar (ar teccar) tar-questo!"

          > Essenya naa Angasuule, naan Faanalondeo i naa Tyelepeasse(1).

          Epessenya naa Tirno ar essenya naa Greg, Maaranye Nu-Hyarmesse
          Helvetica-nooreo (mii oronti). Quettan angwa (?), franca (?????) ar
          quenya raica. :-)

          > Aiquen (2) naa cuina?

          Yee, nan naan fiirima, inye naa atan

          > ;) Meeran istie Quenya, ar intyan elye [too] (3)!

          Yee

          > Aiquen meera envinya sinome? ;)

          mana "envinya"? ava haryan quettar-parma.

          > 1) Faanalondeo = Bahia Blanca, Tyelepea = Argentina (still undecided,
          > though).
          > 2) is 'aiquen' correct for somebody/anybody?

          ava istanye :°(

          > 3) a word for 'too'?

          hantale ;)

          Tirno
        • Zulema Amanda Gaido
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 22, 1999
            Helge K. Fauskanger escribió:

            > > Meeran istie Quenya, ar intyan elye [too] (3)! Aiquen meera envinya
            > sinome? ;)
            >
            > Yee. A envinyatalme sina men! (Anwave NAAS vinya; laa ea maure *1*
            > envinyata
            > ta...)

            Maara! Elfling *2* quente aiquen tence tella tengwa *3* mine loa yaa.

            > > 3) a word for 'too'?
            >
            > I QL harya _yando_ ("also").

            Naa maara istie! Ar naa maara quetie Quenya (Josu Gomez ar inye equeetie
            quenya IRC-esse, nan erya luume). Aiquen nan Ainon naa sinome? :)
            Angasuule

            *1* In the index to the Etymologies by elvish words the entry for 'maure'
            reads 'maure (Q) MBAS', it should be MBAW (the following root). Thank you
            for the index! :)
            *2* How would you render Elfling into Quenya?
            *3* tengwa = letter, email, message (I couldn't think of anything better)
          • almie_elenwe
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 13, 2002
              Aiya meldor,

              Naan vinya 'Quenya'sse. Umin hanya lambe Eldaiva maarave, er meruvan
              harya lambenoole... Merin pole quete ar tece Quenya, an Quenya naa
              vanima lambe!

              Cilmessenya naa Almie Elenwe

              Namaarie!

              Almie
            • Jessica Vazquez
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 12, 2002
                Aiya Aranel! Essinya Cenerue (Hi Sadie! My name is Cenerue) I suggest you go to the Ardalambion website because they have a Quenya course you can actually download and it's marvelous! I'm still only learning myself and I'm also new to this email group. Just go to www.Ardalambion.com and it will help you! They also have a word list and lotsa other neat stuff! Enjoy!

                Cenerue

                --- message from "Sadie" <smashingsadie@...> attached:

                A free email account your friends will never forget!
                Get YOURNAME@... at http://www.emailaccount.com/

                Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you@... w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag
              • ingoliva_heru <ingoliva_heru@yahoo.es>
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 12, 2003
                  Aiya ilyë meldor lambion Tolkieno!

                  Nan vinya sinómë. Merin polë quetë quenya yo ilyë elyë istien quetë
                  mára vanya lambé sina. Lú manassë nalyë queten-sambessë? Nai ilquen
                  poluva hanya quettanyar. Tenna rato,

                  Ingóliva Heru
                • Jessica Enlund
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 13, 2003

                     "ingoliva_heru <ingoliva_heru@...>" <ingoliva_heru@...> wrote:

                    Aiya ilyë meldor lambion Tolkieno!

                    Nan vinya sinómë. Merin polë quetë quenya yo ilyë elyë istien quetë
                    mára vanya lambé sina. Lú manassë nalyë queten-sambessë? Nai ilquen
                    poluva hanya quettanyar. Tenna rato,

                    Ingóliva Heru

                    hi!

                    i cant speak guenya....yet...:(...but i hope i´m gonna learn som day! but i don´t know how i´ve been trying to find a place i can leran quenya but i havent found any good places!!:(...bye!

                    Gratis e-mail resten av livet på: www.yahoo.se/mail
                    Busenkelt!

                  • Gildor Inglorion
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 13, 2003
                      teithant Jessica Enlund

                      www.ardalambion.com

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 14, 2003
                        Hi!

                        I've not been learning quenya so much but I've got some skills.
                        Learning quenya it's not diffcult. However it's very important the
                        fact you're ready to consacrate some time. For me, and for the most
                        of quenya "speakers" (best "readers/writers"), the Fauskanger's
                        course is the best way to achieve a good level of quenya. You can get
                        it in www.ardalambion.com . Hope it'll be useful.

                        Tenna rato (see you),
                        Ingóliva Heru
                      • Nibinaraniel
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 20, 2003
                          I am in need of a few good members to join my woodelf society. Please
                          contact me to join! I wish it were better, so I need suggestions.
                          Forgive my English!!!
                          Namaarie,
                          Nibinaraniel
                          birdgurl17@...
                        • Jenna-Lee Walsh

                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 21, 2003
                              I'm here for few minutes... But I'm also in Elfling group. It's
                              enormous so I decided to join this group, too. (I thought about it
                              for a long time, that means I will have e-mails about Q separately,
                              not that I will answer all).
                              BTW, should I write vende or wende (differences in pronouncation).
                              Hantalle.
                            • Gildor Inglorion
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 21, 2003
                                teithant sirielelenion

                                > BTW, should I write vende or wende (differences in
                                > pronouncation).

                                I don't know if vende is attested from Tolkien's
                                workds or a speculation of Helge... wende is supposed
                                to be more archaic, and according to Helge, it should
                                be pronunced vende in Frodo's time

                              • Patrick H. Wynne
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 21, 2003
                                  Gildor Inglorion wrote:

                                  > teithant sirielelenion
                                  >
                                  > > BTW, should I write vende or wende (differences in
                                  > > pronouncation).
                                  >
                                  > I don't know if vende is attested from Tolkien's
                                  > workds or a speculation of Helge... wende is supposed
                                  > to be more archaic, and according to Helge, it should
                                  > be pronunced vende in Frodo's time

                                  Hey, here's a radically different way to approach this
                                  question, only rarely attempted on the Internet nowa-
                                  days -- let's actually look at _Tolkien's own writings_
                                  and see what _Tolkien_ had to say, instead of what
                                  _Helge_ says. It's a wacky and strange idea, I know,
                                  but it could be fun!

                                  In the list of the Quenya names of the Tengwar in
                                  Appendix E of _The Lord of the Rings_, the name of
                                  Tengwa 24 is given as "_vilya_ air, sky (older _wilya_)"
                                  (LR:1096). _vilya_ does not appear in the _Etymolo-
                                  gies_, but it is clearly from the root WIL- 'fly, float in
                                  air' (V:398). The _Etym._ also gives Q. _wende_, _vende_
                                  'maiden' < WED-, WENED- (V:398). Taken together
                                  with the comment in Appendix E that _wilya_ is the
                                  "older" form of _vilya_ 'air, sky', it seems a logical con-
                                  clusion that _wende_ 'maiden' is an earlier form, later
                                  _vende_. Such paired forms in _w-/v-_ are not un-
                                  common in the _Etym._, for example _vaiwa_, _waiwa_
                                  'wind' and _ván_, _wán_ 'goose' (V:397).

                                  The form _wende_ is used in Tolkien's Quenya trans-
                                  lation of the Litany of Loreto, in the phrase _Wende mi
                                  Wenderon_ 'Virgin of virgins' (VT44:12), which dates
                                  to sometime in the 1950s (see VT43:6-7). Perhaps
                                  this indicates that the older forms in _w-_ (_wende_,
                                  _wilya_, _wán_, etc.) continued in use beside the
                                  later forms in _v-_, though I don't think Tolkien was
                                  consistent on this point. I'm sure there is much more
                                  that could be gleaned from Tolkien's published
                                  writings on this issue. I encourage you to turn off
                                  your computers, grab a couple books by Tolkien, and
                                  take a look.

                                  -- Patrick H. Wynne
                                • Tom Killingbeck
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 25 9:14 PM
                                    Melda ilye,
                                    Ma aiquen nete mentalenya?
                                    Onoono

                                    (Dear all,)
                                    (Did anyone get my message?)
                                    (Onoono)
                                  • Mark A Miles
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 26 2:05 AM
                                      On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Tom Killingbeck wrote:

                                      > Melda ilye,
                                      > Ma aiquen nete mentalenya?
                                      > Onoono
                                      >
                                      > (Dear all,)
                                      > (Did anyone get my message?)
                                      > (Onoono)

                                      Which message?

                                      -Mark
                                    • Tom Killingbeck
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 26 8:12 PM
                                        Which message?

                                        -Mark

                                        The one that included these pieces of work that it doesn't seem like
                                        I can get anyone to comment on... is there nothing wrong with them?
                                        Is there no area I can grow in? I would love some advice, and some
                                        help at making my Quenya better. Thanks,
                                        Onoono

                                        Minya:
                                        [First:]

                                        Ant' alcar Ataren, ar Yondon, ar Ainasúlen, ve nes yessessë, ná sín,
                                        ar nauva tennoio. Nasië.
                                        [I saw David Chapman's "Two Christian Prayers" on a web page,
                                        published on the ELFLING list in April 2001, and was intrigued by
                                        them. I thought though, that maybe there was something about that
                                        whole "glory be" line that needed work. So I composed my own
                                        translation of the second one (I thought the first was very good, and
                                        I liked the idea of using the instrumental case.)]

                                        Attëa:
                                        [Second:]

                                        Nai mallë ortuva lenna / Nai súrë tuluva tennoio aldamolyallo / Nai
                                        Anar caluva laucavë antalyanna / Nai i mistë lantuva moicavë
                                        lairelyannar / Ar mennai enovantalmë / Nai Eru tiruva le cambessë
                                        máryo.

                                        ["May the road rise to meet you / May the wind be always at your
                                        back / May the sun shine warm upon your face / May the rain fall soft
                                        upon your fields / And until we meet again / May God hold you in the
                                        palm of his hand." I heard this in a song and thought that it would
                                        be really nice in Quenya, so I tried my hand at translating it.]

                                        Neldëa:
                                        [Third:]

                                        Linduvan len i lírë laitalëo
                                        Eruo ar vanya melmerya
                                        Linduvanyes i yómeniessë
                                        Írë nanyë quildë sarnessë

                                        Linduvanyes i hellion
                                        Ambaren ar i lien
                                        Linduvanyes ve i lóma
                                        Ter oromarderyassen
                                        Nauvas yellonya sinomë
                                        Auressë entulelyë
                                        Írë tultalyenyë tyulë
                                        Quildevë yánalyassë

                                        Ai, quetuvanyel sérë ar melmë
                                        Quettar Eruo nin quetina
                                        Ar sí nauvas quetina len yando
                                        Ter unqualë yoldoryo cuilen

                                        Linduvanyes i hellion
                                        Tenna Mornië-metta
                                        Linduvanyes ve i lóma
                                        I lurëa fanyaren
                                        Nauvas yellonya sinomë
                                        Ve sornë or i súrë
                                        San Eru yaluva elvë
                                        Quildevë yánaryanna

                                        [Notes: This is an original piece entitled "Lírë Laitalëo", one that
                                        I spend several hours on. I have not done really well with the metre
                                        or anything, but I have tried to make it as uniform as I can. I
                                        would love your thoughts on it, however. Now the questions: Is there
                                        any shorter way of saying "praise" as a noun? Are there any rules
                                        pertaining to the use of the article in poetry? "Shout of triumph" is
                                        a nice word, but is there a verb form of it? I am not sure about the
                                        use of "hellë" or its questionable dativity as "hellion". Is this a
                                        valid Quenya word for "sky"?]
                                      • amanibhavam
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 27 1:29 AM
                                          --- Tom Killingbeck <tntkillingbeck@...> wrote:

                                          C� enge l� nanquetta mentalyanna an ananda nes... M�ra
                                          nas anda mentar cilien.

                                          > Minya:
                                          > [First:]
                                          >
                                          > Ant' alcar Ataren, ar Yondon, ar Ainas�len, ve nes
                                          > yessess�, n� s�n,
                                          > ar nauva tennoio. Nasi�.

                                          You do not post the English, sadly. But if you use the
                                          pronominal suffix -s in _nes_, why not in _n�_ and
                                          _nauva_ also? They refer to the same subject "as it
                                          was, is and will be_ I presume.

                                          tuva lenna / Nai s�r� tuluva tennoio
                                          > aldamolyallo

                                          This to me means "May the wind come from your back
                                          forever". Why ablative?

                                          / Nai
                                          > Anar caluva laucav� antalyanna / Nai i mist� lantuva
                                          > moicav�
                                          > lairelyannar / Ar mennai enovantalm�

                                          _mennai_ is rather old; _tenna_ might be a better
                                          choice (You've used it yourself in tennoio)

                                          / Nai Eru
                                          > tiruva le cambess�
                                          > m�ryo.

                                          a possibility for "hold" could be cep- from Sindarin
                                          ceb- (�-chebin Estel anim)

                                          > Neld�a:
                                          > [Third:]
                                          >
                                          > Linduvan len i l�r� laital�o
                                          > Eruo ar vanya melmerya
                                          > Linduvanyes i y�meniess�
                                          > �r� nany� quild� sarness�
                                          >
                                          > Linduvanyes i hellion
                                          > Ambaren ar i lien
                                          > Linduvanyes ve i l�ma
                                          > Ter oromarderyassen
                                          > Nauvas yellonya sinom�
                                          > Auress� entulely�
                                          > �r� tultalyeny� tyul�
                                          > Quildev� y�nalyass�
                                          >
                                          > Ai, quetuvanyel s�r� ar melm�
                                          > Quettar Eruo nin quetina
                                          > Ar s� nauvas quetina len yando
                                          > Ter unqual� yoldoryo cuilen
                                          >
                                          > Linduvanyes i hellion
                                          > Tenna Morni�-metta
                                          > Linduvanyes ve i l�ma
                                          > I lur�a fanyaren
                                          > Nauvas yellonya sinom�
                                          > Ve sorn� or i s�r�

                                          It is always a good thing to post your intended
                                          meaning.

                                          Bye,

                                          Thomas
                                          > San Eru yaluva elv�
                                          > Quildev� y�naryanna

                                          =====
                                          -----
                                          Thomas Ferencz "Suddenly it strikes you that they're moving into range
                                          and Doctor Strange is always changing size."

                                          (Pink Floyd: Cymbaline)

                                          http://search.yahoo.com
                                        • Tom Killingbeck
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 28 8:49 PM
                                            Thank you for your help. There were several little things that
                                            needed work, so thank you for pointing them out to me!

                                            Ant' alcar Ataren, ar Yondon, ar Ainasúlen, ve nes yessessë, nas sín,
                                            ar nauvas tennoio. Nasië.

                                            > You do not post the English, sadly. But if you
                                            > use the pronominal suffix -s in _nes_, why not in
                                            > _ná_ and _nauva_ also? They refer to the same
                                            > subject "as it was, is and will be_ I presume.

                                            Literal translation: "Give glory to the Father, and to the Son, and
                                            to the Holy Spirit, like it was in the beginning, is now, and will be
                                            forever. Amen."

                                            Nai súrë tuluva tennoio aldamolyallo

                                            > This to me means "May the wind come from your back
                                            > forever". Why ablative?

                                            The English words go "May the wind be always at your back." I
                                            couldn't work out a translation of that, based on my rather limited
                                            understanding of Quenya - especially in regards to "at"!

                                            Here is the English translation of the poem, as far as it goes…

                                            Linduvan len i lírë laitalëo I will sing the song of praise
                                            Eruo ar vanya melmerya Of Eru and his beautiful love
                                            Linduvanyes i yómeniessë I will sing it in the gathering
                                            Írë nanyë quildë sarnessë When I am in the quiet place

                                            Linduvanyes i hellion I will sing it to the skies
                                            Ambaren ar i lien To the Earth and to the people
                                            Linduvanyes ve i lóma I will sing it like the trumpet blast
                                            Ter oromarderyassen Through his lofty halls
                                            (I'm not sure why I used the locative here - but I need an extra
                                            syllable!)
                                            Nauvas yellonya sinomë It will be my shout of triumph (here)
                                            Auressë entulelyë In the day (when) you return
                                            Írë tultalyenyë tyulë When you summon me to stand
                                            Quildevë yánalyassë Quietly in your sanctuary

                                            Ai, quetuvan len sérë ar melmë Oh, I will speak to you peace and love
                                            Quettar Eruo nin quetina Words of Eru to me spoken
                                            Ar sí nauvas quetina len yando And now it will be spoken to you also
                                            Ter unqualë yoldoryo cuilen Through the death of his son for life

                                            Linduvanyes i hellion I will sing it to the skies
                                            Tenna Mornië-metta Until the end of the Darkness
                                            Linduvanyes ve i lóma I will sing it like the trumpet blast
                                            I lúrëa fanyaren Against the darkening skies
                                            Nauvas yellonya sinomë It will be my shout of triumph here
                                            Ve sornë or i súrë Like the eagle over the wind
                                            San Eru yaluva elvë Then Eru will call us
                                            Quildevë yánaryanna Quietly into His sanctuary

                                            Thank you again for your help. And I apologise for the size of the
                                            post!

                                            Ta,
                                            Onóno
                                          • dmroberson3
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 18, 2004
                                              Aiya! Inyë nar vinya ar inyë merë na ista ma i Quenya cari an (these) quett=
                                              ar.

                                              was
                                              journey (noun)
                                              am
                                              will (e.g. I will jump off of a cliff)
                                              came (e.g. ...dream of the ones who came...)
                                              these

                                              ~Meldon~
                                            • dmroberson3
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 20, 2004
                                                Nevermind, I found out the translations.
                                              • Daniel Salta
                                                Message 23 of 23 , May 10, 2005
                                                  Heran hanta an mápalyë inyë minna hostië sina.
                                                  ["I am grateful (have gratitude) for your taking me into this group
                                                  (gathering)." is my Quenya good enough? I'm pretty new to using it, so
                                                  I am usually unsure of my grammar.]

                                                  ~Erunámo Capetyë
                                                  [Daniel Salta ("Salta" is Spanish (I am from the Philippines) for "you
                                                  jump" (as far as I know), so "cap-"<jump>+"-ë"<aorist tense
                                                  suffix>+"-t"<2nd person subject suffix> -- please, correct me if I am
                                                  wrong.)]