  • Daniel Myers
    Oct 4, 2002
      and the rebuttal...

      --- In quenya@y..., "Petri Tikka" <kari.j.tikka@w...> wrote:
      > Some commentary to follow:
      >
      > --- In quenya@y..., "Daniel Myers" <avorix@h...> wrote:
      > [...]
      > > verse three:
      > > And I know that the record which I make is true; and I make it
      with
      > > mine own hand; and I make it according to my knowledge.
      > >
      > > Ar istan sa i quentasta ya carin naa anwa; ar carinyes maanyanen
      > > veera; ar carinyes nolmenyanainen.
      >
      > Pretty good, but _nolme_ can also mean "Philosophy (including
      > Science)" (PM:360 cf. 344). Better to use _hande_ "knowledge,
      > understanding" (LR:363).

      easy enough

      > [...]
      >
      > > here's verse four:
      > > For it came to pass in the commencement of the first year of the
      > > reign of Zedekiah, king of Judah, (my father, Lehi, having dwelt
      in
      > > Jerusalem in all his days); and in that same year there came many
      > > prophets, prophesying unto the people that they must repent, or
      the
      > > great city Jerusalem must be destroyed.
      > >
      > > An martanes i yessesse i coranaro minya i hereon Sedecaio, aran
      > Yudo,
      >
      > You meant *_héreo_ from _hére_ "lordship"(LT1:272), right?

      Actually I meant _heren_ "governance" (Etym KHER-). That's what I
      get when I read off a laptop screen while i'm typing it onto a
      desktop...

      > Why do you
      > coppy the English pronunciation and not the original one in your
      > translation? It makes no sense: Tolkien didn't translate "Jesus" as
      > ***_Dsiisus_ or **_Hyísus_, but _Yésus_ (VT43). Intervocalic _d_
      > developed to _r_ in Quenya, cf. _rerin_ "I sow" < RED (LR:383).
      >
      > > (atarinya, Liihai, marne Yeruusalemesse ilya arerya); ar yana
      > coranar
      >
      > You need the locative case here.

      on _coranar_, right? so _coranaresse_?

      > > tulne rimba meneldur, meneldura lienna sa uucaravartante [must],
      > var
      >
      > UGH! ***_ln_ is impossible in Quenya.

      Then what exactly is the past tense of _tul-_ "come"? (which, by the
      way, is well attested...)

      > > i alta osto Yeruusaleme nauva [destroyed].
      >
      > [...]
      >
      > > These words were created/mishmashed:
      >
      > These words are indeed mishmash. Luckily that cannot be said from
      > good reconstructions, done with knowledge and thought.
      >
      > > *_Sedecaio_ = Zedekiah - *_Sedecaia_ + genitive
      >
      > no, no, No, No, NO, ABSOLUTELY NO!! No intervocalic _d_ in Noldorin
      > Quenya, no three vowels in a succession. Both impossible.

      okay, thanks, i didn't know that. I've only been writing Quenya for
      four months, and started learning it five months ago...

      > > *_Yudo_ = Judah - *_Yuda_ + genetive
      >
      > no, no, No, No, NO, ABSOLUTELY NO!! No intervocalic _d_ in Noldorin
      > Quenya.
      >
      > > *_Yeruusaleme[sse] = Jerusalem - *_Yeruusaleme_ [+ locative]
      >
      > no, no, No, No, NO, ABSOLUTELY NO!!

      Did you type this each time, or did you cut & paste it?

      > Why the long vowel? It is not so
      > in the original language.

      Care to enlighten me?

      > > *_meneldur_ = prophet - _menel_ 'heaven' + _-dur_ 'servant'
      >
      > no, no, No, No, NO, ABSOLUTELY NO!! Prophesy means "spokesman" and
      is
      > derrived from _pro-_ + _pheemi_.

      Give me a break. I'm a high school senior, not some professor of
      european languages.

      > > *_meneldura-_ = prophesy... made from *_meneldur_...
      >
      > no, no, No, No, NO, ABSOLUTELY NO!! Derriving words from horrid and
      > illogical de-constructions...

      then how about telling me, or suggesting to me, ideas on how I could
      improve? how about "heaven-speaker" 'prophet' and "heaven-
      speak" 'prophesy'?

      > > *_uucaravartante_ = repent - _uucare_ 'sin' + *_avarta-
      _ 'forsake'
      > > (PPQ) + _-nte_ 'they'
      >
      > no, no, No, No, NO, ABSOLUTELY NO!! Why make such awkward and
      > illogical reconstructions, when there is the possibility to
      > paraphrase? Ai!!!

      THEN WHY DON'T YOU GIVE ME A GLIMPSE OF YOUR ENLIGHTENED STATE OF
      MIND!!!???? [sorry for all caps, i'm somewhat frustrated...]

      now I think I should point out that you shouldn't criticize someone's
      created/mishmashed words unless you have a suggestion of your own.
      Got any?

      > > oh, btw, what was the 'casual' good-bye in Quenya?
      >
      > _Mára mesta_

      Thank you. Is there a source for that?
      and, I thought _maara_ was only "fit, useful, good (of things)". Can
      it be used for "morally good"?

      > > Dan Myers
      >
      > -Petri Tikka aka The Enemy of Idiotic Reconstructions

      indeed.

      I don't want to start a flame war...
      but you do seem a little... arrogant...
      At least I'm trying.

      Mára mesta.

      Dan Myers, aka The Enemy of Useless Criticism
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic