350Re: Help, please !

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Jun 2, 2002
      On 6/2/02 6:56 PM, "Helge K. Fauskanger" <helge.fauskanger@...>
      wrote:

      > The main question is what tense or form _órea_ really represents.

      No, that is not the main question at all, which if you'd curb your usual
      knee-jerk reaction and actually read what I wrote, you'd see. The real
      questions are: Is _órea_ just a passing fancy of Tolkien's, as the
      contrasting forms on the very same page suggest may be the case? Is a
      present continuative ending in _-ea_ likewise just a passing fancy, like so
      many other grammatical devices in Tolkien's writings?

      > Especially in a constructed language I would expect considerable structural
      > symmetry.

      That is a most unreasonable expectation, especially of Tolkien's languages.
      But I expect this does explain your willingness to eschew any reasonable
      standards of evidence, so that you can cling to this "solution" to what
      _you_ have decided is a problem and apply it to every verb is sight.

      > Maybe CFH is aware of _another_, more certain way of maintaining this
      > distinction in the case of A-stem verbs?

      Who says this distinction _has_ to be maintained across all verb classes? It
      may well be that some verb classes simply don't have a formal aorist/present
      continuative distinction. In other words, Quenya might behave just like real
      languages in not having perfect parallelism across all verb classes.

      | |
      | Ars longa, vita brevis. |