1876Re: Quetta Quenyo rá "betrayal"?

  • Patrick H. Wynne
    Aug 1, 2006
      --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Köbel <fora@...> wrote:

      > (I couldn't find "betrayal" or "treason" - didn't I see it or don't
      > these words exist?)

      So far as I know, there is no attested Quenya word for 'betrayal' or 'treason'.

      However, the _Etymologies_ gives a base WAR- 'give way, yield, not endure,
      let down, betray' with a variety of Old Noldorin and Exilic Noldorin derivatives,
      including ON _warie_ 'betray, cheat', EN _gwerio_ 'betray', and EN _gwarth_
      'betrayer' (V:397). This last word appears in the name _Ulwarth_, which must
      mean *'horrible betrayer' (the first element is from ÚLGU, a variant of ÚLUG-
      *'hideous, horrible'; V:396).

      The Etymologies entry for WAR- implies (but does not flatly state) that this
      root was not used in Quenya. For neo-Quenya purposes, one could, I
      suppose, nonetheless press it into service and coin an abstract noun such
      as *_varme_, *_varie_, *_varale_, etc. (= 'betrayal').

      -- Patrick H. Wynne
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic