1153"_Navaer_" (was Re: could you give me some advice)

  • faer_edhel24816
    Oct 22, 2003
      --- In quenya@yahoogroups.com, Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@e...> wrote:

      > On Oct 21, 2003, at 10:02 PM, faer_edhel24816 wrote:
      >
      > > I am more than happy to be corrected but not in the manner you did.
      > > It is very important (particularly to new people) to post correct
      > > information.
      >
      > <snip>
      >
      > > Navaer(Sind) is farwell in Sindarin.
      >
      > <snip>
      >
      > > I resepectfully suggest that in future should you find such a thing
      > > again, gently point out the error to the person concerned
      >
      > Then I'll gently point out that "Navaer" is in fact _not_ a Sindarin
      > word. Strictly speaking, it is a secondary invention coined on
      > far-from-certain phonological grounds as a cognate of the attested
      > Quenya parting wish, _namárie_ 'farewell'.

      Hello Carl

      I am very honored to make your aquaintance and i mean that sincerely.
      To tell the truth i was both horrified and mortified when i realised
      what a terrible goof i had made but i dont believe the manner in which
      it was pointed out was very helpful at all. Is there some way i can
      repair the damage i have caused? Thank you very much, it is kind of
      you to provide the above information. I will add it to the explanation
      of "navaer" in my Sindarin dictionaries. The source of my information
      is http://www.councilofelrond.com, then click on the languages section
      and Sindarin/English dictionary. The dictionary gives "Navaer" as a
      sindarin phrase but does expand on it as you have. Whether that
      information is given further in the course I dont yet know. However
      their is a link to a Sindarin Dictionary and that word does not come
      up in the search enginge i only just checked now.

      I decided to try and learn Quenya first so my interaction with
      Sindarin is limited to what is in that Dictionary, occasional
      conversation with a friend who has been studying it for some time, and
      what i have read so far on sites such as Aralambion and
      Gwaith-i-Phethdain. Though as i said i am spending more time on
      Quenya at the moment and that is going slowly. The study of anything
      isnt my strong point but I feel a strong need to atleast try and learn
      Professor Tolkiens invented languages. I havent been this motivated
      about anything in a very long time and the motivation has flowed on
      into other aspects of my life i am definitely brighter and more active
      than before.

      I joined this group in the hope of finding help and encouragement from
      the other members and reciprocating where it was within my limited
      abilities to do so, and, thus make progress in the learning of this
      beautiful language. Thank you again for your time and your kindly critism.

      Faer-Edhelfile:///C|/Program Files/Netscape/Users/cnoonanc/launch.aim
      Instant Message

      > --
      > Carl F. Hostetter Aelfwine@e... http://www.elvish.org
      >
      > ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
      > Ars longa, vita brevis.
      > The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.
      > "I wish life was not so short," he thought. "Languages take such
      > a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic