93 - frater docet umbra introduces himself

  • Frater Docet Umbra
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2011
      Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law

      I would like to take the opportunity to introduce myself. I am frater Docet Umbra, an Irish man working in the Western mystery tradition. I am currently living in Co. Kilkenny.
      I came to occultism in my early teens when I became disillusioned with Catholicism, which is the main religious expression in Ireland (though a great diversification has occurred in the last few years and this is changing). I used the local library a lot as a child and teen, reading books on mythology and later on subjects like shamanism, magick and witchcraft. At this time in my life I defined myself as a Pagan Witch, drawing inspiration from what sources were available on British Traditional Wica, Robert Cochrane and his Clan of Tubal Cain, and Andrew Chumbley's Cultus Sabbati. At this time I was a subscriber to Michael Howards The Cauldron, which is still one of the best publications on Witchcraft and magick available, and the traditional Witchcrafts described, working in a gnostic context, had a deep and formative influence on me. At about this time i also started exploring hermetic traditions, first through the work of Dion Fortune, Israel Regardie, and eventually also Aleister Crowley. Although avowedly Pagan at the time, I also encountered esoteric streams of Christianity at this time, though I was not yet ready to explore such things.

      It took me a number of years to find a relationship to these many and varied aspects of my spiritual life. At the age of 21 I was initiated into the Irish Rite of thelema, a Rite still celebrated today under the Irish Order of Thelema, which I maintain an active membership of. The work of this Order is based both in the hermetic magical tradition of Thelema (whose central tenant is individual liberty) and in the native traditions of the land. The Irish Order of Thelema can be found online at: http://www.irishorderofthelema.com
      The liberal philosophy of Thelema as related to sexual ethic has also been very helpful for me as a sexually variant person.
      In my continuing work I use various methods as they serve my purpose. I have recently been increasingly drawn to native traditions and the spirit of the land in a more simple, intuitive way, so I suppose my journey is coming full circle. I keep a blog with some of my mad magickal thoughts at http://fraterdocetumbra.blogspot.com
      Please do stop by to get a further sense of who i am and how i work,

      Love is the Law, Love under will

      Frater Docet Umbra
      http://fraterdocetumbra.blogspot.com