Re: A Morrighan Formula: Searching for Inspiration...

  • oein_satoriravoun
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2005
      Blessed be.

      Although this is quiet tardy in the tread I very recently came across
      it and think it may be of interest, and although I do not personally
      work with the Morrighan in its individual or triad aspects, I find the
      incense brew by description alone intriguing and perhaps warranting
      further development and explorationÂ…

      "Gather the Eye of the Hag and churn among the star of the earth,
      perch it upon the bones of the five fingers and let it be kissed by
      the morning dew, the blood of the raven shall set it well and to be
      sealed with the fair breath of the crone, merge among the thrice dead
      moon and it shall echo forth she who's is the bearer of the red cry of
      battle."

      At first glance this didn't make much sense, and mimicked more of a
      verbal invocation, then it dawned on me that contained within the
      extract are folk/ pseudonym names for herbsÂ…

      So with a little bit of research it appears that:

      The Eye of the Hag: flowers of a Hawthorn tree.
      The star of the Earth: Avens
      Bones of the five fingers: Cinquefoil
      Blood of a Raven: Wormwood
      Breath of the Crone: Vervain

      The trice dead moon could perhaps reflect the astrological phrase of
      the moon placing it under the governorship of the third moon, which in
      Celtic lore (holding that Samhain is the birth of the year) is that of
      birch.

      Birch is often referred to as the lady of the woods, and as it sheds
      its bark it has become known as a symbol of renewal so it could be
      perhaps another corresponding aspect of this potent deity, as in terms
      of spirituality death is not death but an act of rebirth.

      Or this itself could simply the third day of the waned moon?

      The extract of "being kissed with the morning dew" still holds slight
      confusion for me, as I have being unable to locate an herb of this
      name (bearing in mind my resources are limited) so perhaps you or
      anyone lese on the boards know of it?

      Although it could also be in relation to actual morning dew, or by the
      physical action of leaving the first combination of herbs out over night.

      Have you ever considered actively working with her totem, which if I
      recall correctly is the raven, perhaps path working or meditating with
      this guide in physical manifestation or that of the astral, would help
      both forge a stronger link and aid the undestanding of her deeper
      mysteries.

      I hope this helps and look forward to hearing of any other possible
      connotations that may also be posed within the mixture.

      Love and light

      Oein