Background color

  • Markus Möbs
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2005
      Hi,

      I hope I am not missing something. I have taken a quick look on
      the archives and obviously people used to change the background
      color using image editors. This can get very (cpu-)time consuming
      if you are dealing with large pictures at 300dpi and it will never
      look as clean as it looks entirely generated.

      I suspect the black background is hardcoded and it might be a
      matter of changing a single line somewhere in the source, but I
      have due to my lack of C programming experience and the lack of a
      comment like /* This is the background color. It is hardcoded to be
      black */ ;-) I have not managed to find that line.

      So, if anybody (Dirk?) knows where to tweak, I would appreciate a
      hint.

      Thanks in advance
      :wq
    • sam ende
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 26, 2005
        On Sunday 25 September 2005 15:48, Markus Möbs wrote:

        > I suspect the black background is hardcoded and it might be a
        > matter of changing a single line somewhere in the source, but I
        > have due to my lack of C programming experience and the lack of a
        > comment like /* This is the background color. It is hardcoded to be
        > black */ ;-) I have not managed to find that line.

        i can't find the c file or can't access it, what does the code look like ?

        sammi
      • Markus Möbs
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 26, 2005
          * sam ende <sam@...> [Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:20:51 +0100]:

          > On Sunday 25 September 2005 15:48, Markus Möbs wrote:
          >
          > > I suspect the black background is hardcoded and it might be a
          > > matter of changing a single line somewhere in the source, but I
          > > have due to my lack of C programming experience and the lack of a
          > > comment like /* This is the background color. It is hardcoded to be
          > > black */ ;-) I have not managed to find that line.
          >
          > i can't find the c file or can't access it, what does the code look
          > like ?

          The Quat Site is down at the moment, but the source can still be
          obtained from gentoo mirrors e.g.
          <http://mirror.etf.bg.ac.yu/gentoo/distfiles/quat-1.20.tar.gz>. I
          suspect the code I am looking for in one of the c files in subdir
          kernel/. But that is about everything I have found out so far...

          :wq
        • Larry Berlin
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 29, 2005
            Hi Guys,

            Yes, it is hardcoded, but probably not all in one place. Essentially it
            works like this... the algorithm starts calculating at a particular point
            in the assigned 'screen location'. If it encounters the conditions which
            define 'object found', the algorithm proceeds to define some color
            according to the color formula. If after the assigned number of
            iterations, it has failed to find the object, black is assigned.

            The additional operations for antialiasing get involved along the edges of
            an object.

            If you could identify each place in the code where that iteration routine
            is in play, you could substitute some other color for black when the
            object is not found. Further you'd want to write a routine to add a
            control element somewhere so that you could assign background colors
            easily without hardcoding a specific background color. In that case, black
            might be the best 'default' option.

            It's been a long time since I had time to delve into the code so couldn't
            identify specifically where to look. In addition, the code has been
            updated quite a bit since I last worked on it. Dirk had the idea of
            eventually rewriting the code to be more organized, but I suspect he
            hasn't had time to go through that much work. The lack of organization
            made changes difficult because of having to track down everything affected
            by some seemingly minor change.