photo + fractals

  • A K
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2000

      Hello,

      I need some help. I wish to convert a photographic image into a fractal representation of itself. Is this possible? If so, how? Thanks in advance.

      Kind Regards

      Andrew Koenig

      "A corporation is not a natural person!" "We are a part of Nature; what we do for it, we do for ourselves."

      When buying a Christmas tree this holiday season, please consider buying a live one so that it can be planted into the ground. Let's not further contribute to our culture of wasteful consumerism.

      Do You Yahoo!?
    • Dirk Meyer
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 18, 2000
        Hi,

        do you think of a fractal image of which you want to get its parameters back?
        I think this is not (yet?) possible.

        If you want to compress a (not necessarily fractal) photograph with algorithms
        using IFSs (I think the abbreviation means "Iterated Function System"), there
        are such possibilities.
        There's an image format called "FIF" (Fractal Image Format), which seems to
        compress better than JPEG and which has better quality.
        I think it was "invented" by a company called "Iterated Systems" which was a
        company of M. Barnsley. "FIF" unfortunately didn't get a standard.

        Links related to FIF & Fractal Image Compression:
        http://www.iterated.com/ (I think this was the official homepage of that
        company, but I don't find anything about FIF there now. Did they change their
        business?)
        http://homepages.irk.ru/IceView/index.html
        http://www.diffuse.org/compress.html#fractal
        http://www-vs.informatik.uni-ulm.de/Mitarbeiter/Kassler/fractals.htm
        http://inls.ucsd.edu/y/Fractals/
        http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~sab/maths.html

        That's all I know on this topic, and I'm not an expert at all!

        Yours, Dirk.

        --
        Email: dirk.meyer@...-stuttgart.de
        Fractal homepage: http://www.physcip.uni-stuttgart.de/phy11733/