Start posting people!

  • mrheavy_2000
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 4, 2006
      Let's talk QUAD for days!!!
    • Mikkel Breiler
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 4, 2006
        On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 21:05:14 -0000, "mrheavy_2000" <mrheavy_2000@...> wrote:

        >Let's talk QUAD for days!!!

        OK, anyone got any SQ recordings on cd they want to swap?

        I am currently looking for DSOTM.

        -Mikkel
      • krnewman
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 5, 2006
          > OK, anyone got any SQ recordings on cd they want to swap?
          >
          > I am currently looking for DSOTM.

          When DSotM was first released on CD in the US they accidentally
          released the quad-encoded version. I remember everybody all
          disappointed because it sounded so terrible....in stereo. Worth
          hunting out if you can find it.

          It's a nice mellow version, much less harsh than the discrete.
        • Dan Olson
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 6, 2006
            I got away from SQ as soon as I found DTS! I have WYWH in SQ, but you
            probably don't want it, I just recorded my LP directly, no noise or
            scratch reduction, and no way to break things up into seperate tracks.

            Dan

          • allaroundsuround@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 7, 2006
              In a message dated 03/06/2006 11:18:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              dano@... writes:

              I got away from SQ as soon as I found DTS! I have WYWH in SQ, but you
              probably don't want it, I just recorded my LP directly, no noise or
              scratch reduction, and no way to break things up into separate
              Sure you can I did It with the Q8 in DTS 5.1 and even Did a DVD-V of The Wiz
              of OZ with Pink Floyd music replacing the Original Sound Track, that was a
              few years ago Too!
              And Now the DVD-A of DSOTM 4.1 From The Master Tape in 96/24..
              Don't Ever Say CAN"T
              Rob
              AllAroundSurround

            • mrheavy_2000
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 7, 2006
                I only have Ted Nugent's FREE-FOR-ALL Q8 on cd. What equipment will
                I need to use this disc? I have a few quad receivers to choose from
                with RCA connections, or do I need a dvd/home theater system with
                digital connections?

                --- In quadraphonicquad@yahoogroups.com, Mikkel Breiler <mibm@...>
                wrote:

                > On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 21:05:14 -0000, "mrheavy_2000"
                <mrheavy_2000@...> wrote:

                > >Let's talk QUAD for days!!!
                >
                > OK, anyone got any SQ recordings on cd they want to swap?
                >
                > I am currently looking for DSOTM.
                >
                > -Mikkel

              • Dan Olson
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 7, 2006
                  > Sure you can I did It with the Q8 in DTS 5.1 and even Did a DVD-V of The Wiz
                  > of OZ with Pink Floyd music replacing the Original Sound Track, that was a
                  > few years ago Too!

                  I did this about 10 years ago now (!) and at the time only had a sound
                  blaster with the utilities to record WAV files, and used a very high end
                  Phillips 2x SCSI burner (if I remember right :) Someone could always
                  re-do the disc using mine as a digital source I guess, but with DTS, why
                  bother? Tab's are much nicer. Anyway, true, I *could* break things up,
                  but couldn't at the time with the tools at hand.

                  > And Now the DVD-A of DSOTM 4.1 From The Master Tape in 96/24..
                  > Don't Ever Say CAN"T

                  Well, there's a reason I didn't go any further on making my own SQ and QS
                  (I made a "Can't buy a trill" CD too) discs, other people have better
                  tools, better source material, and more time, they definetly CAN make it
                  happen and did quite well!

                  Dan
                • Dan Olson
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 7, 2006
                    What format is it? DTS? SQ? For SQ, just use any old CD player and your
                    reciever. For DTS, I highly recomend a DVD-A player with a DTS decoder
                    built in, and then you can still use the quad reciever, or a new one.

                    Dan

                  • allaroundsuround@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 7, 2006
                      In a message dated 03/07/2006 10:45:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      dano@... writes:

                      I did this about 10 years ago now (!) and at the time only had a sound
                      blaster with the utilities to record WAV files, and used a very high end
                      Phillips 2x SCSI burner (if I remember right :) Someone could always
                      re-do the disc using mine as a digital source I guess, but with DTS, why
                      bother? Tab's are much nicer. Anyway, true, I *could* break things up,
                      but couldn't at the time with the tools at hand.

                      Explain this to me , What are you saying here... Mine was dts and dolby
                      digital 5.1 the DVD-V that is.. and the DSOTM source was A Clean Source not QS or
                      SQ or Q8-nor The British Q8 either. Tab's are the same as mine , we've both
                      done them since the software came out.
                      I'm talking DVD-Video for the OZ Disc And DVD-A 24/96 for the DSOTM from
                      The XXXX Studio TAPES! Can't get any better than that "The Alan Parsons Quad
                      Mix" ,4.1 now
                      Rob
                      AllAroundSurround

                    • allaroundsuround@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 7, 2006
                        In a message dated 03/07/2006 11:27:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        mrheavy_2000@... writes:

                        I only have Ted Nugent's FREE-FOR-ALL Q8 on cd. What equipment will
                        I need to use this disc? I have a few quad receivers to choose from
                        with RCA connections, or do I need a dvd/home theater system with
                        digital connections?

                        What fomat is it on the cd DTS. ?
                        Rob
                        AllAroundSurround

                      • Dan Olson
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 8, 2006
                          > Explain this to me , What are you saying here... Mine was dts and dolby
                          > digital 5.1 the DVD-V that is.. and the DSOTM source was A Clean Source not QS or
                          > SQ or Q8-nor The British Q8 either. Tab's are the same as mine , we've both
                          > done them since the software came out.

                          Mine was just a plain 2 channel dump of the SQ incoded LP to a CD-R,
                          probably before the DTS software was out. I asked DTS at one point about
                          incoding and they told me that there was no way for the consumer to do DTS
                          incoding...the incoders were not available to the public. Things sure
                          have changed, thank goodness!

                          Dan
                        • krnewman
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 9, 2006
                            >...the incoders were not available to the public. Things sure
                            > have changed, thank goodness!

                            Yes, it's a good time to be alive....

                            I would still like to see more of people taking 5.1 mixing into
                            their own hands, turning it into an art form for genius sound
                            engineers.

                            e.g. that Sabbath _Paranoid_ dts conversion that took the original
                            4.0 (Q8? Reel?) as a starting point, but added processing to some of
                            the guitar solos and moved things around a bit, but mostly in a
                            clever and subtle way. I thought it was an exciting example of
                            showing what someone could do.

                            e.g. that Zappa _Hot Rats_ sounds so well upmixed that it sounds
                            like it could have been the demuxed DD vobs from a DVD-A. A new
                            standard for quality of upmixing?

                            The technology is out there now for so much creative potential to be
                            unleashed.

                            As for me, I know how to do all that stuff, I just don't have the
                            time and so many others do it better.
                          • Veech
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 9, 2006
                              There are folks taking classic stereo albums and running them through software manipulators such as center channel extractors and center channel isolators, and plugging those isolated tracks into a 5.1 surround mixer and encoding the mix onto DTS. It works particularly well on the classic rock albums that had radical stereo mixes, three-point mixes work the best. The results in some cases are stunning. I know that a version of Abbey Road 5.1 is being worked on where the three-part guitar jam in the last song "The End" is being edited so that each of the three guitars comes out of it's own dedicated front channel. It's very effective. So yes, there are folks utilizing the tools available to create some very cool new surround mixes.

                              >...the incoders were not available to the public. Things sure
                              > have changed, thank goodness!

                              Yes, it's a good time to be alive....

                              I would still like to see more of people taking 5.1 mixing into
                              their own hands, turning it into an art form for genius sound
                              engineers.

                              e.g. that Sabbath _Paranoid_ dts conversion that took the original
                              4.0 (Q8? Reel?) as a starting point, but added processing to some of
                              the guitar solos and moved things around a bit, but mostly in a
                              clever and subtle way. I thought it was an exciting example of
                              showing what someone could do.

                              e.g. that Zappa _Hot Rats_ sounds so well upmixed that it sounds
                              like it could have been the demuxed DD vobs from a DVD-A. A new
                              standard for quality of upmixing?

                              The technology is out there now for so much creative potential to be
                              unleashed.

                              As for me, I know how to do all that stuff, I just don't have the
                              time and so many others do it better.

                            • Scot Clayton
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 9, 2006
                                krnewman wrote:
                                > I would still like to see more of people taking 5.1 mixing into their
                                > own hands, turning it into an art form for genius sound engineers.
                                >
                                > e.g. that Sabbath _Paranoid_ dts conversion that took the original 4.0
                                > (Q8? Reel?) as a starting point, but added processing to some of the
                                > guitar solos and moved things around a bit, but mostly in a clever and
                                > subtle way. I thought it was an exciting example of showing what
                                > someone could do.
                                I*'ve done some of this in my studio, but I haven't been able to find
                                the 'source' files for the Sabbath - Paranoid stuff. Anyone have the
                                original source waves? I'd be willing to spend some time on them.*
                                --

                                *--Scot
                                ScotClayton@... <mailto:ScotClayton@...>*

                                * www.ScotClayton.org <http://www.ScotClayton.org>
                                www.SMCProductions.org <http://www.SMCProductions.org>
                                www.RonnieJamesDio.org <http://www.RonnieJamesDio.org>*

                                *www.AR15info.org <http://www.AR15.org>*

                                *www.TonyIommi.org <http://www.TonyIommi.org>*

                                *www.CraigGoldy.org <http://www.CraigGoldy.org>*

                              • Mikkel Breiler
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 9, 2006
                                  On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:51:39 -0600, Scot Clayton <scotclayton@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  >> e.g. that Sabbath _Paranoid_ dts conversion that took the original 4.0
                                  >> (Q8? Reel?) as a starting point, but added processing to some of the
                                  >> guitar solos and moved things around a bit, but mostly in a clever and
                                  >> subtle way. I thought it was an exciting example of showing what
                                  >> someone could do.
                                  >I*'ve done some of this in my studio, but I haven't been able to find
                                  >the 'source' files for the Sabbath - Paranoid stuff. Anyone have the
                                  >original source waves? I'd be willing to spend some time on them.*

                                  Try eDonkey2000 172 hits on dts just now.

                                  I even see a Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Power Of Love DTS 5.1 just now.
                                  I Swear!

                                  -Mikkel
                                • Dan Olson
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 9, 2006
                                    > As for me, I know how to do all that stuff, I just don't have the
                                    > time and so many others do it better.

                                    I have the same problems myself :)

                                    Dan
                                  • Scot Clayton
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 10, 2006
                                      Mikkel Breiler wrote:
                                      > >I*'ve done some of this in my studio, but I haven't been able to find
                                      > >the 'source' files for the Sabbath - Paranoid stuff. Anyone have the
                                      > >original source waves? I'd be willing to spend some time on them.*
                                      >
                                      > Try eDonkey2000 172 hits on dts just now.
                                      I have the DTS version. I just need the 'original' WAV source files.
                                      Comprende?

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 10, 2006
                                        > I have the DTS version. I just need the 'original' WAV source files.
                                        > Comprende?

                                        I have the Q8, but the sound is way too muffled to work with, IMO
                                        (though it has its charms in an authentic 70's lavalamp patchouli
                                        basement sort of way and nothing can dull the glory of the quad mix of
                                        the guitar work at the end of "War Pigs"). That dts version is working
                                        from a pretty clean source, which I'm guessing must be a reel in good
                                        shape. I think it's probably worth the effort you'r putting in to
                                        finding clean wavs.
                                      • John Dunkerley
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 21, 2006
                                          Hey all,

                                          Thought I would post real quick and say I am working on DTS 5.1 conversions of CD4 and SQ/QS Matrix albums, and it is getting better all the time. The results are pretty good. I am working on Pet Sounds, as I believe the DVD-a could have been better. I am using mono, acapella and instrumentals in making the tracks for as discreet a mix as possible, while still sounding natural. I also have done some stereo releases with goo to great results, Chicago - Carnegie Hall comes to mind as one that pleasantly suprised me. It is a lot of fun and rewarding. I recommend anyone with good ears and patience to try doing some conversions.
                                          John D
                                          Casper, Wy, USA

                                          Veech <veech@...> wrote:
                                          There are folks taking classic stereo albums and running them through software manipulators such as center channel extractors and center channel isolators, and plugging those isolated tracks into a 5.1 surround mixer and encoding the mix onto DTS. It works particularly well on the classic rock albums that had radical stereo mixes, three-point mixes work the best. The results in some cases are stunning. I know that a version of Abbey Road 5.1 is being worked on where the three-part guitar jam in the last song "The End" is being edited so that each of the three guitars comes out of it's own dedicated front channel. It's very effective. So yes, there are folks utilizing the tools available to create some very cool new surround mixes.

                                          >...the incoders were not available to the public. Things sure
                                          > have changed, thank goodness!

                                          Yes, it's a good time to be alive....

                                          I would still like to see more of people taking 5.1 mixing into
                                          their own hands, turning it into an art form for genius sound
                                          engineers.

                                          e.g. that Sabbath _Paranoid_ dts conversion that took the original
                                          4.0 (Q8? Reel?) as a starting point, but added processing to some of
                                          the guitar solos and moved things around a bit, but mostly in a
                                          clever and subtle way. I thought it was an exciting example of
                                          showing what someone could do.

                                          e.g. that Zappa _Hot Rats_ sounds so well upmixed that it sounds
                                          like it could have been the demuxed DD vobs from a DVD-A. A new
                                          standard for quality of upmixing?

                                          The technology is out there now for so much creative potential to be
                                          unleashed.

                                          As for me, I know how to do all that stuff, I just don't have the
                                          time and so many others do it better.

                                          Music on hold Music on hold systems Music licensing Music school Music production education Music production schools

                                        • Dan Olson
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 21, 2006
                                            Okay, as there seems to be a shortage of messages here:)

                                            I've seen a Panasonic DVD player that has DVD-A and DTS built in, for sale
                                            for only $89. I forget the model :( Anyway, I'm thinking I might try one
                                            with one of my old quad recievers as a second (or third or fourth)
                                            surround system, has anyone tried one of these yet??

                                            Dan