eBay unit---quad or not?

  • boogajqr
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 22, 2005
      I was wondering if anyone here might be willing to take at an eBay
      auction and offer your more experienced opinion. This is a phono/8T
      combo unit which is listed as quadraphonic, with a "quadraplex"
      option switch (which presumably siumulates quad). The seller,
      however, tells me that the tape head has only two, not four, "bars"
      on it. Can this be?

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&rd=1&item=5746058848&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
    • Dan Olson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 23, 2005
        Probably one of the fake quad systems of the era, kinda like the
        "surround" systems they sell now that don't even have more than 2
        speakers. I've even seen "quad" systems that didn't have 4 amps, just
        some sort of out-of-phase speaker connectors. I can't look at the auction
        right now because today is computer repair day (at least PPP is working :)
        but that's what I suspect if it doesn't have a 4ch tape head.

        Dan

        On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, boogajqr wrote:

        > I was wondering if anyone here might be willing to take at an eBay
        > auction and offer your more experienced opinion. This is a phono/8T
        > combo unit which is listed as quadraphonic, with a "quadraplex"
        > option switch (which presumably siumulates quad). The seller,
        > however, tells me that the tape head has only two, not four, "bars"
        > on it. Can this be?
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
        > ViewItem&rd=1&item=5746058848&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • krnewman
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 24, 2005
          IMO it is not quad, just extra speakers. Worth about $5 IMO