Re: 3 questions (was: Re: Hello Larry!)

  • larryclifton
    Message 1 of 2666 , Oct 21, 2000
      Imwallnj is exactly correct that the Stereotomy
      CD was UHJ encoded, as were the LP and cassette.
      However, because record companies are so furiously
      remastering old recordings, you never know about the current
      versions.<br><br>The credits may provide no help. I have Stereotomy on
      LP. On that version I can find no explicit mention
      that it is Ambisonic other than a credit for the use
      of Ambisonic equipment. Even if that's on current
      CD, it's no guarantee that the current mix is the
      same as the original.<br><br>However, in the case of
      Stereotomy, the album credits state "The album was recorded
      entirely on digital equipment", so the master used to make
      current copies is probably the original and so UHJ
      encoded.<br><br>Imwallnj's also right about Santana's Abraxas. The DTS mix
      sounds identical to the SQ release from the '70s. This
      was one of Columbia's earliest quadraphonic albums
      and whoever remixed it evidently had instructions to
      show off everything quad could do. The music, great on
      its own, swirls, circles and bounces all around
      you.<br><br>For any DTS CD, if spectacular surround effects are
      your primary interest, ask for advise before investing
      in any particular recording. (At $25 list and $20
      discounted, mistakes are too costly.) Quite a few contain
      only ambience on the rear channels, a disappointment
      if that's not what you expected. <br><br>Good
      luck.<br><br>Larry
    • surteess
      Message 2666 of 2666 , Aug 30, 2006
        I remember a while ago someone asking what the differences were...I
        have all 3 of the following (including original boxes, owners manuals,
        service manuals).

        * note [.......] = writing on actual front of unit

        SQD-2000 [SQ DECODER SQD-2000 SOLID STATE] built 1970-71, 2 single-
        sided fully discrete (no ICs) 2 main printed circuit boards (each
        approx A4 size). These were connected together at one end by simple
        wiring loom. This version was made to match the 2000 series amp made at
        the time eg rotary selector knobs.

        It also had two 4-channel discret inputs (1 at front via 2 1/4"
        sockets).

        SYSTEM rotary switch - 2 CH, MTX (like QS?), SQ, 4 CH-1, 4 CH-2.
        Mode rotarty switch - F/B REV, MONO, NORMAL, FRONT REV, BACK REV.
        TONE (back) - BASS TREBLE seperate pots.
        MONITOR - 4 CH, 2 CH seperate up/down selectors.
        VOLUME controls - 4 individual types next to meters.
        VOLUME control - master for all 4 channels at once.
        POWER - on/off.

        SQD-2010 [4 CHANNEL DECODER SQD-2010] build only early 1972, the 2 pcbs
        from previous version are now combined into 1 single-sided printed
        circuit board, this was achieved by removing most SQ decoder
        transistors,diodes, resistors & some capacitors with custom build ICs,
        also the rotary selector switches are removed to be in line with
        recently released TA-1150 (and similar) new Sony gear with push-button
        switches. The unit had the following other features -

        SYSTEM push buttom switches - 2 CH, 2->4, SQ, R MTX, DISCRETE.
        MODE push button - MONO / NORMAL.
        TONE (back) - BASS TREBLE seperate pots.
        MONITOR - 4 CH, MONITOR, 2 CH common up/down selectors.
        VOLUME controls - 4 individual types next to meters.
        VOLUME control - master for all 4 channels at once.
        POWER - on/off.

        SQD-2020 [SQ DECODER SQD-2020 SOLID STATE] build late 1972 to 1975, the
        customs ICs are now removed (costly process) & the discrete transistors
        & other components are now re-instated (as SQD-2000). The printed
        circuit board is now a single A4 size double-sided (copper tracks both
        sides) but not plated through the holes, Sony used rivets to achieve
        contacts from one side to the other. This is the main problem with
        these units - over time the rivets oxidise & units stated to fail,
        cleaning the board & soldering both sides of all rivits normally fixes
        the problem. The front & rear controls & inputs/outputs are the same as
        the SQD-2010.

        Note that all three versions were designed to be used in all overseas
        countries - hence there is a small raised rectangular area on the rear
        with 2 screws fixing it. Removing these screws will reveal the voltage
        selector jumper. Most early 1970s Japanese companies did this as it
        ment that they only needed 1 transformer & power supply design for a
        world market? - pity they do not do it these days.....

        I have the following quad gear if any of you require any other
        information-

        I have several equalizers in my systems at home & they work well, note
        that the JDM had them labeled as Victor SEA-V7E but when exported they
        were re-branded as JVC SEA-V7E – the setups that I have are as follows –

        System 1 – mix of Sony & JVC & Toshiba & Eversonic

        VT-700 (Tuner)
        SEA-V7E (Equalizer)
        SQD-2000 (Decoder)
        4VN-880 (Amp)
        KD-10 (Cassette)
        HR-40 (4-Channel Headphones)
        Eversonic (4 off) 50W 5-way

        System 2 – mix of Sony & JVC & Philips

        VT-700 (Tuner)
        SEA-V7E (Equalizer) - front
        SQD-2010 (Decoder)
        SEA-V7E (Equalizer) - rear
        4VN-880 (Amp)
        5911 (4-Channel Remote)
        5944 (4-Channel Headphones)
        733K (CD)

        System 3 – Sony & Technics & Magnat

        ST-5150 (Tuner)
        TA-1150 (Amp) – front
        SQD-2020 (Decoder)
        TA-1150 (Amp) – rear
        D-5A (CD)
        EAH-400 (4-Channel Headphones)
        Magnat-6 Speakers (4 off) 160W 3-way

        System 4 – PC system, to transfer LPs to CD

        PC with sound blaster Live 5.1
        Sound Forge software
        Sound Laundry software
        SL-10 (Turntable)
        Terratec Phono Pre-Amp Studio
        + approx 250 Quad LPs

        I also have the following other pieces in my collection.

        Cosrad HS 4000 4-Channel Headphones
        Hafler 101A Preamp
        KD-10 Cassette – used for spare parts
        JVC ECA-102 4-Channel Reverb.
        Marantz ST-400 Tuner (modified to include AM Stereo PCB)
        Pioneer QD-240 CD-4 Demodulator
        Quad 405mkII Amp
        Sony SQA-100 Decoder (3)
        Sony SQA-200 Decoder
        Sony SQA-2030 Decoder
        Sony SQD-1000 Decoder (2)
        Sony SQD-2020 Decoder
        Sony SQD-2050 Decoder (2)
        Sony SQD-2070 Decoder
        Sony ST-80F Tuner (3)
        Sony ST-88 Tuner (2)
        Sony ST-2950 Tuner
        Sony TA-88 Amp (3)
        Sony TA-1055 Amp (3)
        Sony TAH-10 Headphone adapter
        Technics SH-400 CD-4 Demodulator
        Technics SH-3433 Scope

        Plus Service manuals for most of the above.
        I am still searching for the following 2 elusive items JVC VT-900 tuner
        & Sony ST-5555 tuner…..

        regards

        Steve (in New Zealand)