Clash of the Old Guard - QRC vs CIC Round 2

  • RealPatchwork
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2003
      Rain fell like cats and dogs at lunchtime, so much so that the St.
      Anthony's - Malick clash had to be put off because of a waterlogged
      Westmoorings venue. QRC Ground was wet, but good drainage and
      oppressive sunshine during the afternoon gave the field enough
      purchase for play.

      The coach started without stronger wingers Jared Sampson and Delano
      "Gecko" Pierre, evidently to give other players a chance to run at the
      table proppers and get some match exposure. Simba still injured, Aldo
      and Kyle started up front, and the defence was composed of the usual
      stalwarts.

      St. Mary's started the game with pace, kicking toward the clock tower,
      a clear attempt to force QRC onto the back foot. They did get a few
      shots off, but never from closer than 12 or 13 yards. The Royalians
      seemed to be taking a more relaxed approach to the game by comparison,
      undaunted by the Saints' pace. Additionally, with the field still
      drying out, hot pace was making for scrappy play. A lot of forays
      were incomplete because a player would skid on the field, or another
      would not get enough purchase to start his chase of a ball. All that
      considered, the defence did well to play and control the St. Mary's
      attack in the soggy conditions.

      QRC did launch some attacks up the wing, where we appeared were
      stronger than the opposition. The fact that Jason did not kick the
      few free kicks that we did get in the first half was testimony to the
      attitude that we had the game in hand and could afford to try a few
      things. It did not mean though that we had to throw caution to the
      wind, which is what Thorne did and allowed CIC to open the scoring.

      With a ball at his feet on touch line, Thorne thought it better to try
      to beat a CIC player than pick the ball up or clear it out of the
      area. He slipped, the ball got behind him, and the lone St. Mary's
      player ran the ball into the goal.

      The lead did not last for long though. Following one of Thorne's
      customary long dumps, the St. Mary's defence caught napping, Aldo
      pounced on the ball and chipped high over the keeper's head into the
      goal to bring the score level.

      The second half saw QRC come out looking decidedly more purposeful,
      and having a greater share of the possession. Wing play continued to
      be the order of the day, with Jason working tirelessly in the action
      on both sides of the field. Pressing up front was Kyle McIvor, who
      more than made up for his size with his intensity. There was no ball
      too far away once it was loose, and no defender too big to challenge.
      Kyle singlehandly kept a number of long clearances by the St. Mary's
      defence from being initiated, simply by his pressure on the players.
      His hard work up front too provided the avenue for the second goal.

      A through ball up the middle of the field met Kyle on storming run
      from the centre line and into the CIC 18-yard box, where he appeared
      to be clipped by a defender. There were shades here of the atrocities
      perpetrated on our former midfielder Mark Ellis, who spent his QRC
      footballing career being manhandled by players of other teams. The
      ref awarded a penalty, which Jason easily converted.

      Despite his earlier lapse, Thorne provided his usual good yoemanship
      between the uprights. He wrapped up a number of CIC outside shots,
      and made free kicks and a few corners harmless, plucking the ball out
      of the air. St. Mary's though were unfortunate to be beaten by the
      upright on the one bullet from outside that Thorne did not manage to
      get behind.

      The Boys in Blue turned on the heat in the last ten to fifteen
      minutes, around the time that the coach brought Jared and Delano onto
      the field. In the 88th minute, QRC sealed the win when wing play on
      the left produced a corner that Jason drove low across the front of
      the six-yard box. Aldo, on spot, missed a diving header. A weak
      quick clearance by CIC was struck fiercely on the run by Gecko, who
      stretched the net for the third.

      The boys are to be commended for their composure while CIC pressed,
      and their continued patience even when we went one down.

      Thorne, despite the one indiscretion continued to show that he is one
      of the best keepers in the league.

      Jason was excellent as always.

      There was a number 11, playing on the left, whose strength and
      commitment to the attack and to defense is to be lauded.

      Radonfah played a far less tentative than he is accustomed to.

      Kyle played one of his best games that I've seen to date, and with a
      smile on his face. This little powerhouse did everything but score,
      and in doing so contributed to the attack fabulously.

      The coach will be hard pressed to choose who will have to sit on the
      bench when Simba is fit again. And I say this because Aldo did show
      some improvement as well. He's a skilful young man. I'm not at all
      avering that he's not. In fact, given that I observed both the St.
      Mary's and Malick defence collapse on him anytime he touched to ball
      is testimony to the fact that other people know it too. Aldo needs to
      start thinking that if he can't score because he's being shut down by
      two and three players at a time, that he can serve as a decoy, or even
      as a server, rather than waiting for service. A defence collapsing on
      Aldo means that Kyle, Jason, Jared, Delano or even an onrushing Lloyd
      could be free, and available to blast from outside. We would do well
      to try that in games against weaker teams like Mucurapo (Saturday),
      Morvant Laventille and Diego Martin, before we get to win-or-die in
      Intercol. It will definitely give QRC another attacking option, not
      that we expressly need another one.

      We now top the table, St. Anthony's two points behind, but with the
      game against Malick in hand. Onward to Mucurapo on Saturday, at
      Fatima Grounds.
    • Leon Chandler
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2003
        Guys,

        Just one correction the defense also missed Kyle
        Rudder, who was nursing a sore right knee but should
        be available for Tomorrow's game. The NO. 11 spoken
        about is Burgen, great kicker of the ball with his
        left foot but a little fitness is needed still.

        Lata.
        Chan.

        http://shopping.yahoo.com