Re: Qigong for anxiety disorders?

  • Kevin Chen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2005
      Dear Dr. Thawatchai,

      Glad to hear from you. Your project sounds very interesting.

      Incidentally, I am in the process to review literature on qigong therapy
      for mental health, and anxiety is one of areas to be covered there. So
      far, I have seen some evidence that qigong practice can reduce anxiety in
      general, but I have not seen much of studies to apply qigong therapy in
      treatment of anxiety disorders. This is partially due to the fact that
      anxiety disorder is not considered very serious mental problem in Chinese
      culture, where qigong was originated, and partially due to the acceptance
      of qigong being low in the Western society, where anxiety disorders are
      more prevalent. Following is a summary of what I have done a while ago in
      a grant proposal, for your reference. I did observe significant reduction
      of anxiety in my own studies of qigong therapy for arthritis and qigong
      therapy for treatment of addiction. I will keep you updated if I see
      something new. If you do not have a copy of Qigong and Energy Medicine
      Database yet, you should order a copy from Qigong Institute
      (http://www.qigonginstitute.org), which includes more than 3400 references
      in energy medicine.

      Please keep me updated on your project. Good luck with your re-search.

      Kevin

      (Qigong Therapy for Anxiety)
      Few studies investigated the affective aspect of qigong therapy. Pavek
      (1988) noticed that qigong therapy was useful to patients suffering from
      anxiety, depression, blocked grief and sleep disorders. Wang (1993) used
      SCL-90 to examine the effect of qigong exercise on mental health, and found
      that the group with more qigong practice reported significantly lower
      scores in most of the mental health indicators, including anxiety and
      depression. Shan et al. (1989) used qigong therapy to treat anxiety
      disorder in psychiatric clinics and reported that 5 of the 8 patients were
      anxiety free after one month of qigong practice, 2 reported significant
      improvement, and only one failed to respond. Wu et al (1999) at UMDNJ
      examined the effect of qigong therapy on late-stage complex regional pain
      syndrome, as well as on anxiety for each of the subjects in a randomized
      placebo-controlled trial, and found that 91% in the genuine qigong group
      reported less pain by the end of treatment, compared to 36% of the sham
      qigong group. Anxiety was reduced in both groups over time, but the
      reduction was significantly greater in the genuine qigong than in the sham
      control group. The reduction of anxiety had a long-term effect while pain
      relief was only short-term. The pre-existing differences in hypnotic
      susceptibility cannot explain the significant and long-lasting improvement
      in anxiety in the qigong group.

      Reference:

      Pavek RR, 1988. Effects of qigong on psychosomatic and other emotionally
      rooted disorders. The First World Conference of Academic Exchange on
      Medical Qigong, Beijing, China, 1988: p. 150.

      Shan H, Yan H1, Sheng H, & Hu, S. 1989. "A preliminary evaluation on
      Chineses qigong treatment of anxiety" The Second International Conference
      on Qigong, Xian, China. 1989: 165.

      Wang, J. 1993. "Role of qigong on mental health." The Second World
      Conference of Academic Exchange on Medical Qigong; Beijing, China. 1993: 93.

      Wu, WH, Bandilla, E. Ciccone, DS. Yang, J. Cheng SS, Carner, N. Wu, Y.
      Shen, R. 1999. "Effects of Qigong on late-stage complex regional pain
      syndrome." Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, 5(1): 45-54.

      At 11:15 PM 3/3/2005, you wrote:
      >Dear Kevin Chen,
      >
      > My name is Dr.Thawatchai Krisanaprakornkit , from the Department
      > of Psychiatry , Faculty of Medicine, KhonKaen University, Khon Kaen,
      > Thailand. I'm conducting a systematic review in Cochrane Database of
      > Systematic Review . The title of my review is " Meditation therapy for
      > anxiety disorders"
      > I would like to ask you whether there are any reserch of Qigong in
      > anxiety disorders patients. I just found only the research in depressive
      > disorder which is very interesting because nowaday there are many studies
      > of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation in treating depression . And Qigong
      > is also an energy medicine. I think the result is promising
      > I will looking forward to your suggestion.
      >Yours Sincerely,
      >Thawatchai Krisanaprakornkit.

      Kevin W Chen, Ph.D. MPH
      Associate Professor of Psychiatry
      Robert Wood Johnson Medical School at UMDNJ
      671 Hoes Lane, D-453
      Piscataway, NJ 08854

      Tel: 732-235-4345; Fax: 732-235-5818;
      Email: chenke@...