Qi Gong and the Parasympathetic Nervous System?

  • bryanpwalsh
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23, 2002
      I'm looking for research pertaining to how Qi Gong affects the
      autonomic nervous system, specifically the parasympathetic branch.
      Here's why:

      So many people these days sympathetically stressed out due to a fast-
      paced lifestyle, lack of sleep, stimulant consumption, bad diet . . .
      the list goes on! Many of these people spend also want a
      aesthetically pleasing physique and spend copious amounts of time in
      the gym. The problem is that all gym-based exercise stimulates their
      already taxed sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight system) and
      what they really need for balance is an "exercise" that will
      stimulate their parasympathetic nervous system (rest and digest
      system).

      Therefore I'm looking for research that might help me "prove" this to
      some people. Research pertaining to cortisol levels, norepinephrine,
      etc. would also be helpful.

      Can anyone help?

      Thanks!

      Bryan P. Walsh
    • Qigong4U
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 25, 2002
        Mirrored from BBS sent by MyeongSoo Lee
        http://pub21.ezboard.com/fqigonginstitutefrm3
        We tried to find the relationships

        We have investigated the effects of Korean
        Qigong(Qi-training). And we find that the positive
        effects psychoneuroimmunologically.
        Recently, we find that Qigong reduce sympathetic
        nervous system and increase parasympathetic systems
        (it will published at Am J Chin Med next issue). And
        Qigong decrease NE and E, too (it is under revision at
        Am J Chin Med). If you want I can send our preprint by
        e-mail.

        Myeong-Soo Lee

        Wonkwang Univeristy in Korea
[...]

        =====