Meditation Practices for Health: State of the Research

  • Kevin W Chen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 21, 2007
      Ospina MB, Bond TK, Karkhaneh M, et al.  Meditation Practices for Health: State of the Research.
      Evidence Report/Technology Assessment No. 155.
      (Prepared by the University of Alberta Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-02-0023.) AHRQ Publication No. 07-E010. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. June 2007.

      Abstract
      Objective:
      To review and synthesize the state of research on a variety of meditation practices, including: the specific meditation practices examined; the research designs employed and the conditions and outcomes examined; the efficacy and effectiveness of different meditation practices for the three most studied conditions; the role of effect modifiers on outcomes; and the effects of meditation on physiological and neuropsychological outcomes.
      Data Sources: Comprehensive searches were conducted in 17 electronic databases of medical and psychological literature up to September 2005. Other sources of potentially relevant studies included hand searches, reference tracking, contact with experts, and gray literature searches.
      Review Methods: A Delphi method was used to develop a set of parameters to describe meditation practices. Included studies were comparative, on any meditation practice, had more than 10 adult participants, provided quantitative data on health-related outcomes, and published in English. Two independent reviewers assessed study relevance, extracted the data and assessed the methodological quality of the studies.
      Results: Five broad categories of meditation practices were identified (Mantra meditation, Mindfulness meditation, Yoga, Tai Chi, and Qi Gong). Characterization of the universal or supplemental components of meditation practices was precluded by the theoretical and terminological heterogeneity among practices. Evidence on the state of research in meditation practices was provided in 813 predominantly poor-quality studies. The three most studied conditions were hypertension, other cardiovascular diseases, and substance abuse. Sixty-five intervention studies examined the therapeutic effect of meditation practices for these conditions.
      Meta-analyses based on low-quality studies and small numbers of hypertensive participants showed that TM®, Qi Gong and Zen Buddhist meditation significantly reduced blood pressure. Yoga helped reduce stress. Yoga was no better than Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction at reducing anxiety in patients with cardiovascular diseases. No results from substance abuse studies could be combined. The role of effect modifiers in meditation practices has been neglected in the scientific literature. The physiological and neuropsychological effects of meditation practices have been evaluated in 312 poor-quality studies. Meta-analyses of results from 55 studies indicated that some meditation practices produced significant changes in healthy participants.
      Conclusion: Many uncertainties surround the practice of meditation. Scientific research on meditation practices does not appear to have a common theoretical perspective and is characterized by poor methodological quality. Firm conclusions on the effects of meditation practices in healthcare cannot be drawn based on the available evidence. Future research on meditation practices must be more rigorous in the design and execution of studies and in the analysis and reporting of results.

      To read the entire report, go to http://www.ahrq.gov/downloads/pub/evidence/pdf/meditation/medit.pdf

    • Dina Ralt by way of Kevin W Chen
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 21, 2007
        For sometimes now I have been trying to suggest a novel way to evaluate
        meditation...My article will be published next month and I would
        greatly appreciate your comment as well as suggested possible
        collaboration in studying NO with regards to meditation.
        http://www.notes.co.il/dina/32099.asp
        Thanks, Dina

        "The soul grows by subtraction, not addition" - Eckhart
      • Y. Azid by way of Kevin W Chen
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22, 2007
          Dina Ralt,

          An excellent approach!
          I noticed that you did not mention eNOS vs iNOS,
          whereby, with most (if not all) somatic disciplines
          like taijiquan, yoga or qigong to induce NO, the level
          of intensity+duration must be of sufficient 'force' to
          induce NO and maintain it for x period of time.
          I came across a German / Czeck source where medical
          gymnastics (not defined) had the ability to increase
          the 0.1HZ? frequency whereby a potential NO conduit
          (release) can change bodily process and induce
          homeostasis. I will try to link.

          Stanton Alleyne
          --- Dina Ralt <chenke@...> wrote:

          > For sometimes now I have been trying to suggest a
          > novel way to evaluate
          > meditation...My article will be published next month
          > and I would
          > greatly appreciate your comment as well as suggested
          > possible
          > collaboration in studying NO with regards to
          > meditation.
          > http://www.notes.co.il/dina/32099.asp
          > Thanks, Dina
          >
          > "The soul grows by subtraction, not addition" -
          > Eckhart

          Get your own web address.
        • Claude Fournier
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 22, 2007
            Hello,

            I would also like to be informed concerning this
            German / Czeck source.

            Thanks,

            Claude
            ====================
            --- "Y. Azid" <chenke@...> a écrit :

            > Dina Ralt,
            >
            > An excellent approach!
            > I noticed that you did not mention eNOS vs iNOS,
            > whereby, with most (if not all) somatic disciplines
            > like taijiquan, yoga or qigong to induce NO, the
            > level
            > of intensity+duration must be of sufficient 'force'
            > induce NO and maintain it for x period of time.
            > I came across a German / Czeck source where medical
            > gymnastics (not defined) had the ability to increase
            > the 0.1HZ? frequency whereby a potential NO conduit
            > (release) can change bodily process and induce
            > homeostasis. I will try to link.
            >
            > Stanton Alleyne
            > --- Dina Ralt <chenke@...> wrote:
            >
            > > For sometimes now I have been trying to suggest a
            > > novel way to evaluate
            > > meditation...My article will be published next
            > month
            > > and I would
            > > greatly appreciate your comment as well as
            > suggested
            > > possible
            > > collaboration in studying NO with regards to
            > > meditation.
            > > http://www.notes.co.il/dina/32099.asp
            > > Thanks, Dina
            > >
            > > "The soul grows by subtraction, not addition" -
            > > Eckhart

            > Get your own web address.

            > qiresearch@...
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            ~~~~~~~.o0o.~~~~~~~
            Claude Fournier, M.D.
            Service de médecine intégrée
            CSSS de Beauce
            Site CLSC de St-Georges
            12523, 25e Avenue, Ville St-Georges, Québec, G5Y 5N6
            Tél. (418)228-2244 #308 Fax: (418)222-6735

            Blog: http://ca.360.yahoo.com/foucla01
            Sites web: http://www.yangsheng.info et http://www.amibes.info
          • Y. Azid by way of Kevin W Chen
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 22, 2007
              Dina & Kevin,

              Here is the link. It deals specifically with exercise
              parameters as opposeed to dietary factors that can
              induce NO, with light exercise! There are references
              to the 0.1Hz pattern that is an objective indicator of
              some physiological benefit!

              http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content?content=10.1080/0309190031000106395

              Without changing your diet reference, my mindset
              considers that some peanuts, a legume, can increase
              blood viscosity and the initial 'light exercise' would
              show no benefit, keeping in mind that peanuts may also
              promote inflammatory conditions!

              Stanton Alleyne

              --- Dina Ralt <chenke@...> wrote:

              > For sometimes now I have been trying to suggest a
              > novel way to evaluate
              > meditation...My article will be published next month
              > and I would
              > greatly appreciate your comment as well as suggested
              > possible
              > collaboration in studying NO with regards to
              > meditation.
              > http://www.notes.co.il/dina/32099.asp
              > Thanks, Dina
              >
              > "The soul grows by subtraction, not addition" -
              > Eckhart

              > qiresearch@...
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Kevin W Chen
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 22, 2007
                Stanton,

                Thank you for the updated information. Interesting to read that Conclusions: The 0.1 Hz component of blood-flow velocity is physiologically linked to baroreflex activity. It is this component that is augmented by a light exercise programme.   Recent studies in biofeedback indicate that 0.1 Hz is the first resonant-frequency in most human body, when one breathes at resonant frequency -- usually 5.5 to 6 times per minutes, varying by individual -- the baroreflex activity starts a resonance phenomenon -- breath-in, heart-rate up and blood pressure up (instead of down in normal case), while breath-out, HR down, and BP down -- his/her autonomic never system will be in an optimal tune-up state with significant therapeutic effects on anxiety, stress, depressive or panic disorder, and hypertension, etc.... since those symptoms are highly related to the malfunction of automatic nerve system....  I have witnessed two clinical studies of this biofeedback therapy in Dr. Lehrer's lab....

                I guess this 0.1 Hz frequency in the body has some unknown magic....  :)

                Kevin

                --- Dina Ralt <chenke@...> wrote:

                 > For sometimes now I have been trying to suggest a
                 > novel way to evaluate
                 > meditation...My article will be published next month
                 > and I would
                 > greatly appreciate your comment as well as suggested
                 > possible
                 > collaboration in studying NO with regards to
                 > meditation.
                 > http://www.notes.co.il/dina/32099.asp
                 > Thanks, Dina
                 >
                 > "The soul grows by subtraction, not addition" -
                 > Eckhart

                 > qiresearch@...
                 > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • qimed123 by way of Kevin W Chen
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 22, 2007
                • Dina Ralt
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 22, 2007

                    Thank you all for your comments and references. I will be glad to further discuss these issues, my email is:

                    ralt1@...

                    Dr. Dina Ralt

                    Phone- 972-3-5224750
                    Cellular - 972-52-8000210
                    http://nettingno.blogspot.com/

                    Life is too short to be in a hurry...

                    For sometimes now I have been trying to suggest a novel way to evaluate
                    meditation.. .My article will be published next month and I would
                    greatly appreciate your comment as well as suggested possible
                    collaboration in studying NO with regards to meditation.
                    http://www.notes. co.il/dina/ 32099.asp
                    Thanks, Dina

                    "The soul grows by subtraction, not addition" - Eckhart

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.