Meditation may increase brain size?

  • Kevin Chen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2006
      Meditation found to increase brain size

      Mental calisthenics bulk up some layers

      Researchers at Harvard, Yale, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
      have found the first evidence that meditation can alter the physical
      structure of our brains. Brain scans they conducted reveal that experienced
      meditators boasted increased thickness in parts of the brain that deal with
      attention and processing sensory input.

      In one area of gray matter, the thickening turns out to be more pronounced
      in older than in younger people. That's intriguing because those sections
      of the human cortex, or thinking cap, normally get thinner as we age.

      "Our data suggest that meditation practice can promote cortical plasticity
      in adults in areas important for cognitive and emotional processing and
      well-being," says Sara Lazar, leader of the study and a psychologist at
      Harvard Medical School. "These findings are consistent with other studies
      that demonstrated increased thickness of music areas in the brains of
      musicians, and visual and motor areas in the brains of jugglers. In other
      words, the structure of an adult brain can change in response to repeated
      practice."

      Read more in web site below

      http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/02.02/11-meditate.html