Need Qigong Healer(s) in NY-NJ Area for treating addiction in a NIH-funded project

  • Kevin Chen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2005
      Dear Friends,

      My colleagues and I just got a NIH grant to study external qigong therapy
      for treating cocaine addiction. We are urgently in need of capable qigong
      healer(s) to perform external qi therapy for cocaine addiction to see if
      the treatment may help reduce cue-elicited craving. In our pilot
      study, we have successfully demonstrated that external qigong therapy
      could reduce the cue-elicited craving (measured by changes in skin
      conductance, skin temperature and heart rate when exposure to drug cue)
      immediately after qigong treatment. In this double-blinded clinical trial,
      we will have the healer treat the patients 5 times within 2 weeks.....

      We would prefer the qigong healer with a tracking record of research or
      healing, and living within 1.5 hour drive from Newark, NJ area, since we do
      not have many cocaine addicts at one particle day, and it take five
      treatments in two weeks for each subject, therefore, the healer has to be
      around to complete the treatment. If qualified for the study, the healer
      will get paid $75 for each treatment, we will give him/her 2 to 4 patients
      to treat each day, depending upon the recruitment situation. The study will
      take place at VA hospital of East Orange. We are going to recruit 98
      subjects in two years.

      If you are interested in this study, or you know anyone who may be capable
      to do this type of study, please contact me at 732-235-4345, or email to
      chenke@... . Following is the abstract of the study for your
      information:

      Qigong Therapy for Treating Cocaine Addiction

      ABSTRACT:
      This revised R21 grant application (1R21AT001350-01A1) will perform a
      randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial to investigate external
      Qigong therapy (EQT) in reducing cue-elicited craving and improving
      treatment outcome in withdrawn cocaine dependent patients. The specific
      aims of the study include: (1) Examining the efficacy of EQT for reducing
      cue-elicited cocaine craving in acutely abstinent cocaine dependent
      subjects; (2) Investigating the effect of EQT on reducing symptoms of
      anxiety and depression associated with acute withdrawal; (3) Investigating
      the effect of EQT on reducing substance use and the incidence of
      addiction-related problems; and (4) Testing whether the benefits of EQT are
      independent of the perceived credibility of EQT and the expectancy one has
      of experiencing positive treatment outcomes. These aims will be achieved
      through a trial with 98 cocaine dependent subjects who will be randomly
      assigned to either a Qigong treated group or a Sham treated control
      group. Qigong treatment consists of "Qi emission" by the Qigong Master
      toward the head area for a total of six 10-minute sessions over 2
      weeks. EQT effectiveness in reducing craving will be determined using a
      cue-elicited craving paradigm. This involves a set of highly standardized
      and safe procedures for inducing craving in a controlled laboratory setting
      by exposing subjects to cocaine-related and neutral non-drug related
      cues. The present researchers have employed this methodology in clinical
      trials to screen anti-craving medications for cocaine addiction for the
      past 8 years. In addition to the two-week laboratory model, this study
      will also examine the efficacy of Qigong for reducing anxiety and
      depression associated with acute withdrawal, increasing sobriety, and
      improving substance use and related problems identified on the Addiction
      Severity Index. Finally, we will examine whether the subject's belief in
      treatment has an effect on treatment outcomes. [V2] The pilot data
      collected through this R21 grant will serve as a basis for future R01
      applications to examine Qigong efficacy in improving craving and treatment
      outcome for cocaine addiction.

      Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions on this.

      Kevin W Chen, Ph.D. MPH
      Associate Professor of Psychiatry
      Robert Wood Johnson Medical School at UMDNJ
      671 Hoes Lane, D-453
      Piscataway, NJ 08854

      Tel: 732-235-4345; Fax: 732-235-5818;
      Email: chenke@...