Ask your Senators and Representative to co-sponsor the Local Farms, Food, and Jobs Act!

  • Vicky Bean
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2011

      Center for Science in the Public Interest
      Center For Science in the Public Interest. Take Action

      actionalertbanner.jpg
      Dear QC Local Food Advocates,
      Is supporting your local farmer, visiting your farmers market, CSA, food coop, or other local food source important to you?  What about having fresh, local food for your child’s school meals?  We have a unique opportunity for you to support local farmers and ranchers and to ensure your local food system continues to grow.
      In the coming days, we will be joining members of Congress and other farm and food advocates in introducing the Local Farms, Food, and Jobs Act! Ideally, it will be included in the farm legislation that Congress will consider in the very near future as part of the deficit-reduction package.
      The goal of the bill is to advance the development of local and regional farm and food systems from farm to table.  Local food systems not only hold potential for connecting consumers with where their food comes from, but also for boosting farm income, stimulating job creation and economic development, stabilizing rural America, and meeting public health and nutrition goals.
      The bill will address the needs of consumers in accessing food from their local communities and the needs of farmers and ranchers producing for local and regional markets, including infrastructure and processing capabilities.  While there are growing “relocalization” efforts and local food economies are expanding across the nation, policy reforms are needed to overcome barriers and more fully capitalize on the new farming opportunities, jobs, and economic growth this sector can deliver.
      We need support from as many legislators as possible – and quickly.
      Sincerely,
      Michael F. Jacobson

      leftshadow.jpgnahcntrshadow.jpgrightshadow.jpg

      Need help eating smart?

      Nutrition Action Healthletter keeps you up-to-date on food safety and nutrition information.
      subscribeshadow.jpg
      greenshadow.gif

       donateshadowbot.gif
      I want to be a part of the fight for safer, more nutritious food by contributing to CSPI.
      donateshadowbot.jpg