Local Foods Meeting: Wed, June 8th, 6:30pm

  • Mitch Tollerud
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6 6:32 AM
      Dear Local Food Enthusiasts, Activists and Eaters!

      Join
      PACG Local Foods Initiative this Wednesday, June 8th, 6:30pm at Antonella's Restaurant, 112 West 3rd Street Davenport, Iowa 52801 for our monthly meeting

      June 8, 2011 at 6:30pm

      AGENDA
      1. Welcome
      2. Introductions
      3. LFI Committee Reports:

          A.  Farm to Cafeteria:
              -Great report from the Mitchell School farm to school event!
              -Encouraging area Colleges and institutions to use local foods in their cafeterias

          B.  Community GardensWe have broken ground at our Community  Garden located at 13th St and Grand Ave in Davenport. 10' X 10' plots are available for $10.  Call Caroline to reserve yours TODAY: 563-676-7580 or email carolina1961@.... We need volunteers and supplies come and have fun!

          C.  Local Seed Library:  Plant your Heirloom Seeds now and then we can learn how to save seeds in the fall!  Seed Saver heirloom seeds are available at the Davenport Freight House Farmers Market

          D.  Local Food Coop:  Update on the QC Food Hub and the Freight House space

          E.  Earth Charter Summit: Saturday in October,
              Title: Our Common Destiny-A Vision of a Sustainable Way of Life Locally
              Strengthening Local Communities is the theme of the 2011 Earth Charter Summit.
              The 2011 QC Earth Charter Summit will address topics of:
              *Local Food *Water *Energy *Economic Security/Jobs

      4. Other Business:

          PACG Local Food Initiative Volunteer Opportunities:  Please come, help, have fun, meet people, educate on the issues!

          -Saturday June 18th, PACG Local Foods Booth at the Radish Healthy Living Fair 8am-3pm:  Give an hour of your time, Please help us with our booth at the Radish Fair and talk to folks about local foods!!!!! It is always fun!!

          -Volunteers to help with Earth Charter Summit, local food component
          -Volunteers to work common areas of the PACG Community Garden
          -PACG LFI is looking people to attend the Freight House Farmers Market Board meeting to stay informed on local food issues at the market.

          B.   PACG Pledge Cards – Please consider donating to PACG, this makes our LFI possible!

          C.  QC Local Foods certification label program for farmer’s market vendors?  Mitch

          D.  How can we get local governments to pass mandates requiring use of local foods (Woodbury County in Iowa has a mandate we could use as a model).  Who can help with this?

          E.  Exploring the possibility of City ordinances for backyard chickens (use Iowa City ordinance as an example) BFBL newsletter

          F.  What would you like to be doing around local foods??????

      5.  Upcoming EVENTS (save the dates):
          A.  Radish Healthy Living Fair Saturday June 18th, PACG LFI booth, who can staff this?
          B.  Earth Charter Summit: Saturday in October. Local food session

      6.  Other Announcements

      Next meeting will be Wednesday June 13th at 6:30pm at Antonella’s at 112 W 3rd St Davenport, IA

      Progressive Action for the Common Good Local Foods Initiative:
      Our goal is to assist in the development of a healthy, safe, sustainable, local food supply for the Quad Cities.

      You are what you eat; a popular saying takes on new meaning in our diets today.  The food we eat has changed drastically in the last 30 years: Factory Farms, Genetically Modified Food ingredients, Cloned Animal Food ingredients, contaminated food, and toxins in imported foods.  We face a daily challenge trying to ensure that the food that we eat and feed our family is safe, healthy, environmentally-friendly and supporting our local economy.

      PACG is energized to announce its newest forum, the Local Foods Initiative Forum.
      The Local Foods Initiative goal is to assist in the development of a healthy, safe, sustainable, local food supply for the Quad Cities.

      Five components of the Local Foods Initiative will work to educate and move to action citizens, businesses and local government to pursue a local food supply.
      There are:
      -Farm to Cafeteria
      -CommunityGardens
      -Local Food Coop
      -Local Seed Exchange
      -Annual Local Foods Summit

      The Local Foods Initiative meets once a month on the second Wednesday of the month at 6:30pm at Antonella’s Ristorante at 112 W 3rd St Davenport, IA Committees meet throughout the month also.

      Join us at the PACG Local Foods Initiative.  Together we can help to educate and mobilize municipalities and their citizens to strengthen the Quad City area and foster a source of healthy, local, safe food.

      If you are interested in joining the Local Foods Initiative or one of its committees, please contact
      Rachel Griffiths rgriffiths@... (309)-721-3204
      Mitch Tollerud mitch@... (563)-445-1842
      Caroline Vernon  carolina1961@... 563-676-7580
      --