PACG LFI Meeting this Wednesday

  • Mitch Tollerud
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2010
      *PACG Local Foods Initiative meeting this Wednesday February 3^rd at
      6:30pm at the Davenport Unitarian Church 3707 Eastern Ave, Davenport

      *

      Progressive Action for the Common Good Local Foods Initiative: Our goal
      is to assist in the development of a healthy, safe, sustainable, local
      food supply for the Quad Cities.

      AGENDA

      Welcome

      Introductions

      1. Farm to Cafeteria:

      2. Local seed Library:

      3. Community Gardens:

      4. Local Food Coop:

      5. Annual Local Food Summit: Should we have this again?

      Should we pick one or two issues/projects in Local Foods Initiative and
      focus get to work?

      6. Other Business:

      -Food inc PACG Social Justice Movie Night Friday Feb 19th at the
      Davenport UUC at 7pm.

      -Local Foods Plan presentations for City Councils

      -Exploring the possibility of City ordinances for backyard chickens (use
      Iowa City ordinance as an example)

      -BFBL Local Foods Valentine’s Breakfast, please consider attending, call
      Rachel for tickets 309-721-3204

      -A St. Ambrose College marketing class is going to develop a sample
      media campaign for the PACG Local Foods Initiative.

      -Bi-monthly potluck/social

      **

      * Next meeting March 3^rd 6:30pm at the Davenport Unitarian Church. *

      You are what you eat; a popular saying takes on new meaning in our diets
      today. The food we eat has changed drastically in the last 30 years:
      Factory Farms, Genetically Modified Food ingredients, Cloned Animal Food
      ingredients, contaminated food, and toxins in imported foods. We face a
      daily challenge trying to ensure that the food that we eat and feed our
      family is safe, healthy, environmentally-friendly and supporting our
      local economy.

      PACG is energized to announce its newest forum, the Local Foods
      Initiative Forum.

      The Local Foods Initiative goal is to assist in the development of a
      healthy, safe, sustainable, local food supply for the Quad Cities.

      Five components of the Local Foods Initiative will work to educate and
      move to action citizens, businesses and local government to pursue a
      local food supply. There are:

      -Farm to Cafeteria

      -Community Gardens

      -Local Food Coop

      -Local Seed Exchange

      -Annual Local Foods Summit

      The first Annual PACG Local Foods Summit was September 26^th at
      Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois.

      *The Local Foods Initiative meets once a month on the first Wednesday of
      the month at 6:30pm at the Unitarian Church.* Committees meet throughout
      the month also.

      Join us at the PACG Local Foods Initiative. Together we can help to
      educate and mobilize municipalities and their citizens to strengthen the
      Quad City area and foster a source of healthy, local, safe food.

      If you are interested in joining the Local Foods Initiative or one of
      its committees, please contact Rachel Griffiths rgriffiths@...
      <mailto:rgriffiths@...> (309)-721-3204

      or Mitch Tollerud mitch@... <mailto:mitch@...>
      (563)-445-1842

      Whether you can make the meeting or not, there is a new way to stay in
      touch with the Local Foods Initiative. In an effort to keep in more
      regular contact, we set up a Yahoo Group for the Local Foods Initiative.
      This online forum allows us to continue our important work beyond the
      meetings: sharing, learning, advocacy, project building, goal reaching
      and more. Everyone is welcome to join.

      To join the Local Foods Initiative Yahoo Group, go to: