Local Foods Meeting - Wed Feb 9th

  • Mitch Tollerud
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2011

      Dear Local Food Enthusiasts, Activists and Eaters!

      PACG Local Foods Initiative asks you to please join us at our meeting this Wednesday , February 9, 2011 at 6:30pm at Antonella's Restaurant, 112 West 3rd Street Davenport, Iowa 52801

      AGENDA

      1. Welcome
      2.  Introductions
      3.  LFI Committee Reports:
              A.  Farm to Cafeteria: Davenport Farm to School Chapter

      -Encouraging area Colleges and institutions to use local foods in their cafeterias
              B.  Community Gardens:  Caroline Vernon

      C.  Local Seed Library:  Cindy Heilman Seed, report on event at the Freight House Sat Feb 5th and Seed Savers Exchange

      D.  Local Food Coop:  Update on the QC Food Hub and the Freight House space

      4.  Other Business:

              A. PACG Pledge Cards – Please consider donating to PACG, this makes our LFI possible!
              B. QC Local Foods certification label program for farmer’s market vendors? Your input is very important on this potential new program. (Mitch)
              C. How can we get local governments to pass mandates requiring use of local foods (Woodbury County in Iowa has a mandate we could use as a model).  Who can help with this?
              D. Exploring the possibility of City ordinances for backyard chickens (use Iowa City ordinance as an example) BFBL newsletter
              E. CAFOs in Eastern Iowa and Western Illinois.  Create a possible Local Foods Event around  the issue of sustainable, local pork to raise awareness about CAFOs   (ICCI?) Molly

      5.  Upcoming EVENTS (save the dates):

              A.  Sierra Club Film Festival March 19th

      B.  PACG LFI booth at the Lawn & Garden Show March 25-27, who can help staff this?

      C.  Radish Healthy Living Fair Saturday June 18th, PACG LFI booth, who can staff this?

                  -Other events or announcements?

      Next meeting will be Wednesday March 11th at 6:30pm at Antonella’s at 112 W 3rd St Davenport, IA

      Progressive Action for the Common Good Local Foods Initiative:

      Our goal is to assist in the development of a healthy, safe, sustainable, local food supply for the Quad Cities.

      You are what you eat; a popular saying takes on new meaning in our diets today.  The food we eat has changed drastically in the last 30 years: Factory Farms, Genetically Modified Food ingredients, Cloned Animal Food ingredients, contaminated food, and toxins in imported foods.  We face a daily challenge trying to ensure that the food that we eat and feed our family is safe, healthy, environmentally-friendly and supporting our local economy.

      PACG is energized to announce its newest forum, the Local Foods Initiative Forum.

      The Local Foods Initiative goal is to assist in the development of a healthy, safe, sustainable, local food supply for the Quad Cities.

      Five components of the Local Foods Initiative will work to educate and move to action citizens, businesses and local government to pursue a local food supply.

      They are:

      -Farm to Cafeteria
      -Community Gardens
      -Local Food Coop
      -Local Seed Exchange
      -Annual Local Foods Summit

      The Local Foods Initiative meets once a month on the second Wednesday of the month at 6:30pm at Antonella’s Ristorante at 112 W 3rd St Davenport, IA Committees meet throughout the month also.

      Join us at the PACG Local Foods Initiative.  Together we can help to educate and mobilize municipalities and their citizens to strengthen the Quad City area and foster a source of healthy, local, safe food.

      If you are interested in joining the Local Foods Initiative or one of its committees, please contact

      --

      Mitch Tollerud

      mitch@...
      563-445-1842