[Pacg] URGENT: Scott Board of Supervisors Public Hearing TODAY 5:30pm

  • Mitch Tollerud
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5 11:43 AM
      To all:

      Scott County Board of Supervisors is holding a public hearing on Aug 5 at 5:30 on the 1st floor of the Administrative Center (600 West 4th Street in Davenport).

      If it's at all possible, PLEASE attend. We NEED you there, whether you are from Iowa or Illinois.

      ICCI also continues to track all developments and provides details below -  Please come to the meeting tonight AND send an email "opposing" the approval of a CAFO expansion on Dittmer's farm in Eldridge, Iowa.

      This is an email Lois sent to the Board, with a copy to ICCI.

      "To the Scott County Board of Supervisors:  It is requested you deny any permits to expand any Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO's) in Scott County.  Factory Farming not only destroys our air, water and soil, but also ruins the chance of survival for the small farmers, who still take pride in taking good care of their animals and show some respect for their existence while here on earth.

      Factory Farming should be PROHIBITED, and unless we set GREED aside and forget about the almighty dollar and stand up and do what's right, we are faced with an irreversible disaster to our environment."

      If you are unable to make the meeting, please send an email of protest to the Scott County Board.  It needn't be long, just tell them you OPPOSE any CAFO expansion in Scott County.

      From ICCI:

      Our campaign to stop factory farms and stand up for clean air, water, independent and sustainable family farms, and our quality of life is paying off.

      BUT A NEW FIGHT IS ON THE HORIZON.

      A factory hog farm outside of Eldridge, IA in Scott County that contracts with the multinational corporation and agribusiness giant Triumph Foods wants to expand its operations from more than 9,000 hogs to more than 12,000.  This is already a huge facility, but an expansion would mean an additional production of more than 4,200 gallons of toxic manure a day, or more than 1.5 million gallons a year.

      The developer, Thomas Dittmer, is on record stating he is expanding in anticipation that Triumph Foods will build a new meatpacking plant in East Moline, IL just over the Iowa/Illinois border.  This proposed expansion confirms our worst fears that Scott County and surrounding areas are in for a huge increase in the number of factory farms being built in the coming years, unless we continue to stand up, organize, grow our power, and fight for what we believe in.

      This is what we know:

      The Scott County Board of Supervisors is holding a public hearing on Thursday, August 5 at 5:30pm on the 1st floor of the Administrative Center (600 West 4th Street) in Davenport. Iowa CCI is calling on all members and allies from across the county to join us to demand that they vote against the proposal for this huge expansion.  It is critical that we demonstrate massive and unified community opposition to Triumph Foods’ plans to expand.

      The board will NOT vote up or down on the proposal on August 5.  Thanks to the pressure we put on them last time, they will take two weeks to consider public comments made on August 5 and will not officially vote until August 19.  That is a very good thing because it means more time for us to plan, organize, and leverage our power.

      Written comments to the Board in opposition can and should be emailed to planning@....  After you submit a comment to the Board please fwd a copy to david@... so we can track it.

      Here’s the good news:

      The owners scored themselves 490 points on the Master Matrix.  440 are needed to pass.  But an Iowa CCI analysis of the Master Matrix documents has identified at least 225 points that are erroneous, meaning that the developer has failed to pass even the most basic requirements for a permit.  Once again, we have the facts on our side.  But we know the facts alone are not enough.  We need to apply organized people-powered pressure to back our facts up.

      Here’s what we need you to do:

      1)      Submit a written comment to the Board stating your opposition to planning@...

      2)      Attend the public hearing on August 5 at 5:30pm.  Depending on what folks want to do, a press conference and rally at 5pm, 30 minutes before the public hearing starts, could help us make a big impact going into the hearing.

      Your community is counting on proven leaders like yourselves to stand up, speak out, and fight back.  Please RSVP Monday’s conference call and Thursday’s public hearing by contacting me at  515.282.0484  515.282.0484 (work),  515.991.6357  515.991.6357 (cell) or david@...

      For a more just and democratic Iowa,

      David Goodner

      Community Organizer

      Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement