Regional questions

  • Brock Stephenson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2004
      For the two B2B packs from this year's VETO tournament, I count the
      following CanCon breakdown:

      B2B pack one
      * 9 tossups, including regional questions on:
      - Manitoba geography
      - B.C. architecture
      - Alberta literature
      - Quebec/Ontario geography
      * 8 bonus questions, including regional questions on:
      - Quebec history
      - B.C. literature

      B2B pack two
      * 6 tossups, including regional questions on:
      - Ontario history
      - B.C. pop culture
      - Quebec pop culture
      - B.C. geography
      * 4 bonus questions, non of which are considered regional in nature

      Based on two packs worth of 24/22 distribution, B2B had 15/12 Canadian
      content. Of that, 8/2 is clearly regional CanCon. Breaking it down
      further into the way certain Westerners see the country, the regional
      content is:
      - B.C. 3/1
      - Prairies 2/0
      - Eastern Canada (although all questions in this category relate to Ontario
      and/or Quebec) 3/1

      As far as this year's VETO packs go, I doubt any pack had even regional
      CanCon for B.C. and Ontario (the two provinces represented by teams at VETO
      and its mirror). In the future, I suggest, more teams attempt to find a
      balance between questions about their home province and questions about the
      province hosting the other half of the tournament, not to mention the other
      8 provinces and 3 territories.

      That would be enough out of me.

      Brock (the person at SFU, not the university attended by Andy)