BLASTOISE at U of T-May 21st

  • Rydercyber
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29 9:09 AM
      The title says it all. BLASTOISE was formerly known as the Ottawa Hybrid Tournament, and is a relatively easy tournament with half-academic questions and half-pop culture questions. It's ideal for newer quizbowl players, and there will be some veterans there too. The tournament is open to all, doesn't need you to write a pack, will cost less than $100, will have discounts for buzzers, distance, and being in high school, and will be held at the St. George (downtown) U of T campus, building tba (most likely the Bahen Centre, where Early Fall was held this year).
      Any questions, please contact me at "jordan" dot palmer "at" utoronto "dot" our country internet code ;)
    • Rydercyber
      Message 2 of 2 , May 12, 2011
        Here are all the details:
        Deets:
        Event: BLASTOISE (Ottawa Hybrid)
        Date: Saturday, May 21, 2011
        Time: 9:30 a.m. (please, please, please for the Love of God, be punctual!)
        Site: Galbraith Building, University of Toronto St. George Campus, 35 St. George Street, Toronto
        Cost: $80 per team, with the following discounts:
        a) Working Buzzers ($-10)
        b) Staff member (Scorekeeper/Moderator) ($-10)
        c) A team composed SOLELY of high school players ($-10)
        d) A team travelling more than 300 Kilometres (one way) to play ($-10)
        e) Two or fewer players on a team ($-20)
        Minimum Fee: $20

        Logistics:
        Parking maps around the university (I recommend either the lot under "BCIT" or aboveground at King's College Circle:
        http://www.parking.utoronto.ca/Assets/P ... +Rates.pdf
        http://www.parking.utoronto.ca/Assets/P ... ng+Map.pdf

        Transit maps of the downtown are:
        Subway map (I recommend "St George" which is closest, and "Queen's Park" which is about a 15 minute walk)
        http://www3.ttc.ca/Subway/interactivemap.jsp

        This is a route map for aboveground mass transit (buses, streetcars)
        http://www3.ttc.ca/images/fixedImages/TTC-Downtown.pdf

        Food:
        Galbraith blding is >5 minutes north of College Street, with a Starbucks, Subway, Shwarma place, Burger King, 7 eleven and Irish pub. You won't starve.

        FIELD UPDATE:
        Team Quizbowl Awesomeness (Eric Smith, Chris Lionel, Sinan Ulusoy, Miran Terzic)
        Team All Stars from the Past (Bruce Lin et al.)-->Looking for free agents(?)
        McMaster (at least 1 team)
        Waterloo (6 players; at least 1 team)
        Claudine Longet Invitational Biathlon (Will Nediger, Peter Burton, Muna Mire and Brian McNamara)
        Josh Alman et al. (UTS alumni) (maybe)
        Michigan (maybe)
        Plus a lot of free agents (Andy Saunders, James Schmidt) FIELD UPDATE: