salute problems

  • snowryder10487
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9 12:54 PM
      ok i have read many articles on how to make salutes but wenever i tried it
      ended up turning into a fountain like thing. ok i took 1 of those rip off m-98
      er
      w/e n got all the stuff out so i had a tube....next i used hot glue to make a
      bottom plug....then i put in sum tissue and then emptied sum regualy
      firecrackers until i had alot of flash powder i also used sum crushed sparkler
      groud down very very fine....i then used a piece of visco that i stuck into the
      powder...then more tissue and finally the glue ontop. i let this dry 4 maybe
      30mins and lit it but it was like a gay fountain...Y?????? wat did i do rong?
      should i not add spakler stuff?? let it dry longer? wats rong?? thank you any
      advice will very helpful
    • utrocketman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 9 3:38 PM
        The following is for informational purposes only and I do not
        advocate the manufacture or use of salutes. The construction and or
        use of salutes as listed below are considered a felony in the United
        States of America. And could result in arrest, fines and or extreme
        injury or death.

        That said the first thing you need to know is that all formulas are
        by weight not volume and will not work properly unless they are
        measured correctly.

        Flash Powder

        Potassium perchlorate 65-70%
        Aluminum powder (400 mesh) rest(up to 100%)
        Larger percentage of aluminum will result in a stronger flash.
        Use the diaper or newspaper method for mixing your two ingredients.
        DO NOT ATTEMPT TO GRIND TOGETHER OR USE A TUMBLER TO MIX
        INGREDENTS!!! Please keep in mind that 20 grams or more of mixed
        component can explode with out containment.
        After mixing well, plug one end of paper tube with paper plug (paper
        towel with white glue works well) DO NOT USE HOT GLUE PLUGS, they
        will not break up and will act as a projectile with some amazing
        ranges. Almost any paper tubing will work. Pant hanger tubing works
        very well, even used firework tubes such as Saturn Missile Battery
        tubes work well and they have the added advantage of being plugged on
        one end. Before filling drill a small hole in side of tube and insert
        fuse. A small dad of hot glue will hold fuse in place. Fill tube
        aprox.1/2 to ¾ full. DO NOT COMPRESS MIXTURE. Plug open end with
        paper plug as before. Let dry completely.
        Do not store these for any length of time and only make enough
        mixture to complete what you are working on at the time.
        Start out making small salutes and work your way up to larger
        salutes. They seem to gain in strength expotentionaly. 1" long tubes
        are a good starting point and may be all the power you want. These
        are very powerful and very bright. They can easily take off a few
        fingers and most likely turn your hand into a useless lump of
        hamburger if they where to detonate while holding one.
        So be careful, Never hold one in your to light it and have fun.

        --- In pyrotechnicsinformation@yahoogroups.com, "snowryder10487"