Re: rockets

  • utrocketman
    Message 1 of 70 , Aug 6, 2001
      Dear Golden One,<br>You don't say what you are
      making your rockets out of but I think the trick is the
      casing you are using for your motor. For the realy hot
      motors I have found that alumanim (I know this is not
      spelled right but you get what I mean) tubing will work
      and you may have to use a phenolic liner, but you
      have to be able to machine your closers are know
      someone that can. Phenolic tubing can also work by itself
      and is much easer to assemble but I have had some
      burn through.<br>A good formula is 60% potassium
      nitrate 20% powdered magnesium 400 mesh and 20% R45
      binder, Mix well at room temp and cast into motor casing.
      You will either have to have a spindel up the middle
      or drill the motor out when it is cured. These are
      core burners and will not work as a end burner. The
      finnished product should have the consitencey of hard
      rubber.<br>Thanks for the info on smoke and potassium nitrate.
    • P.
      Message 70 of 70 , Jan 25, 2004
        --- In pyrotechnicsinformation@yahoogroups.com, "P. " <gen-
        mills@r...> wrote:
        > --- In pyrotechnicsinformation@yahoogroups.com, luminousjellypuddle
        > wrote:
        > > Im planning on making a fountain and there is a
        > > substance in the formula called STEARIN.I was hoping one of
        > > you could tell me a bit about
        > > it,properties,sources,hazards ect? Also does anyone know of a
        good
        > book that
        > > tells of property discriptions for all the items on the
        > > element chart?
        >
        > stearin
        > Related: Organic Chemistry
        >
        > (sterĀ“in) , fat that is the triglyceride of stearic acid, CH 3 (CH
        > 2 ) 16 CO 2 H, i.e., the tristearate ester of glycerol. It is a
        white
        > crystalline solid at ordinary temperatures and is insoluble in
        water
        > and very slightly soluble in alcohol. It is found (often mixed with
        > palmitin ) in many hard fats and oils, e.g., in tallow, suet,
        > butterfat, cottonseed oil, and olive oil. It is used in making soap
        > and candles.

        You can purchace Stearin
        herehttp://www.homeuk.altura.com/products/60950/6737948/Stearin.html