What is a "grade" exactly

  • spikedhats
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2005
      I'm working on something and the construction says to use a "grade
      3" Blasting cap. having no access to such a thing; could anybody
      tell me a proper sub for it. Also if anybody knows about what
      a "grade" is equal to, I understand that it has to do with the
      ammount of energy required/produced to begin a reaction. But beyond
      that I am clueless...
    • Clyde Wary
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2005
        "I'm working on something and the construction says to use a 'grade 3'
        Blasting cap."

        I've never heard of such a thing. I did a Google search on the term,
        and got two hits: they were total BS (from people who were probably
        so-called "teenie-bombers") containing various errors. Blasting caps
        are normally designated by "number." A number 6 cap is the most
        common for civilian applications. Military explosives tend to be
        harder to detonate, and use higher number caps, like 8. And there are
        no standard caps less than a number 6.