Re: pvserver on Android

  • pvbrowser
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 13 10:13 PM
      > But can the pvserver run on Android?
      It has not been tested up to now.
      At least the pvserver compile on Android.
      Thus pvserver should run on Android.

      There seems to be a terminal emulator for Android which you might use for testing the pvserver.
      http://www.appbrain.com/app/android-terminal-emulator/jackpal.androidterm

      A better solution might be a ssh server for your Android device over which you connect from a PC (SSHDroid).
      With the ssh server you should be able to interactively login to the Android command line from the PC and to copy (scp) files between PC and Android device.

      After this is working you need a cross development environment for Android on your PC. Here i use a Ubuntu virtual machine with:
      http://developer.android.com/sdk/ndk/index.html
      and
      http://sourceforge.net/p/necessitas/home/necessitas/

      Please build a "Hello World" application and run it on Android using the above. Once you have done this please come here again.
    • David
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 15 4:42 PM
        OK, thank you very much for your guide. I will try what you are talking about and let you know.

        Also, is Necessitas always needed? I mean, if you use Lua for the server, is it still needed? I would need also Modus TCP communication, so I suppose I will need it anyway, but I ask that for curiosity.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 15 9:43 PM
          > Also, is Necessitas always needed?
          > I mean, if you use Lua for the server, is it still needed?
          > I would need also Modus TCP communication,
          > so I suppose I will need it anyway, but I ask that for curiosity.

          In principle you only need the gcc compiler from the Android NDK toolchain (arm cross compiler).
          But it is much more convenient to have Necessitas also because then you can use the Qt Creator IDE. Also qmake is included in Necessitas. We use qmake to generate our Makefiles. Without Necessitas you would have to rewrite the Makefiles.

          Once you have compiled everything you will be able to use Lua without the need for a gcc compiler.
        • pvbrowser
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 15 10:27 PM
            You will need shell access to your Android device.
            I would suggest to start a sshd on the Android device and ssh to it from your PC.

            In the first step compile the famous "hello world" program using Android NDK on your PC.
            Then scp the hello_world executable to the Android device and execute it from your ssh window.
            I have read that there is only a simple shell on the Anroid device but that bash is alreday there and can be started. So i would use bash within the shh window.

            If you managed to run hello_world it will be straight forward to compile our serverlibrary and rllib and finally pvslua.

            The normal Android apps work within the dalvik virtual machine.
            You want to run native code.