Re: Pvbrowser using MODBUS for data aquisition

  • pvbrowser
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 22, 2012
      > I only want to modify linux kernel code of serial driver to
      > support RS485
      >
      > I think it is feasible.

      If your system software (linux driver) supports RS232 it will support RS485 also (I am sure it does). For the driver both are the same.

      The difference is you need different hardware on your port.

      Either a port with RS232 like MAX232
      http://www.maxim-ic.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/1798
      see the "diagram" there.

      Or a port with RS485 like ADM485
      http://www.analog.com/en/interface/rs-485/adm1485/products/product.html
      also see "Functional Block Diagram for ADM1485" there

      If your port has only a RS232 driver you can convert the electrical signals from RS232 level to RS485 level by using an external adapter like
      http://www.rs232-converters.com/rs232_to_rs485_converters.htm