please try to solve this question

  • neeraj kumar
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 2005

      hello friend's,

      can any one send me the solution of given problem if possible.Specially last question.please try to find the solution and reply soon.

      1.

                  Find the maximum number of parts that you can get after dividing a circle with n lines.

      2.

                  Decode the following

                                            B I L L

                        +      W I L L I A M

                                   M O N I C A

                       ---------------------------

                                C L I N T O N

                  Assuming every alphabet represents a particular digit.

      3.

      Mr. ANYONE left ANYTOWN by car to attend a wedding at ANYCITY. He had been driving for exactly two hours when the car got punctured. He took his driver ANYBODY 10 minutes to change the wheel. In order to play safe they covered the remaining distance at a speed of 30 mph. Consequently, Mr. ANYONE was at the wedding half an hour behind schedule.

      “Had the car got the puncture 30 miles later, I would have been only 15 minutes late” he told the driver. How far is the ANYCITY from ANYTOWN?

      5.

      Divide Rs.84 (in whole Rs. increments) into a number of bags so that I can ask for any amount between Rs 1 and Rs 84, and you can give me the proper amount by giving me a certain number of these bags without opening them. What is the minimum number of bags you will require?

      6.

      A cylinder 108 cm high has a circumference of 24 cm. A string makes exactly 6 complete turns round the cylinder while its two ends touch the cylinder's top and bottom. How long is the string in cm?

      7.

      A large water tank has two inlet pipes (a large one and a small one) and one outlet pipe. It takes 1 hour to fill the tank with the large inlet pipe. On the other hand, it takes 4 hours to fill the tank with the small inlet pipe. The outlet pipe allows the full tank to be emptied in 5 hours.

      What fraction of the tank (initially empty) will be filled in 0.48 hours if all three pipes are in operation? Give your answer to two decimal places (e.g., 0.25, 0.5, or 0.75).

      8.

      Mr. Juari offers to play a card game with Mr. Sharabi using a normal deck of 52 cards. The rules of the game are that they will turn over two cards at a time. If the cards are both black, they go into Mr. Juari’s pile. If they are both red, they go into Mr. Sharabi’s pile. If there is one red and one black, they go into the discard pile. They repeat the two cards flipping until they have gone through all 52 cards.

      Whoever has more cards in their pile at the end wins. If there is a tie, Mr. Juari wins.

      What are Mr. Sharabi’s chances of winning this game?

      10.

      A number is called a palindrome when it is equal to the number you get when all its digits are reversed. For example, 1551 is a palindrome.

      We discovered a curious thing. We took the number 461, reversed the digits, giving the number 164, and calculated the sum of these two numbers:

             461

             164 +

           -------

             625

      We repeated the process of reversing the digits and calculating the sum two more times:

             625

             526 +

           -------

            1151

            1511 +

           -------

            2662

      To our surprise, the result 2662 was a palindrome. We decided to see if this was a pure coincidence or not. So we took another 3-digit number, reversed it, which gave a larger number, and added the two. The result was not a palindrome.

      We repeated the process, which resulted in another 3-digit number, which was still not a palindrome. We had to repeat the process twice more to finally arrive at a 4-digit number, which was a palindrome.
      The Question: What was the 3-digit number we started with the second time?

    • Ed Murphy
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 23, 2005
        On 9/23/05, neeraj kumar <georgian_neeraj@...> wrote:

        5.

        Divide Rs.84 (in whole Rs. increments) into a number of bags so that I can ask for any amount between Rs 1 and Rs 84, and you can give me the proper amount by giving me a certain number of these bags without opening them. What is the minimum number of bags you will require?

        For N bags, there are (2^N)-1 combinations.  6 bags (63 combinations) is insufficient, 7 (127) is sufficient.

        One 7-bag solution is 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64.

        ObFollowup:  How many 7-bag solutions will cover all amounts from 1 to 84?

        6.

        A cylinder 108 cm high has a circumference of 24 cm. A string makes exactly 6 complete turns round the cylinder while its two ends touch the cylinder's top and bottom. How long is the string in cm?

        If a right triangle 108 cm high and 24*6 = 144 cm wide is wrapped around the cylinder, its hypotenuse will correspond to the string.  By the Pythagorean theorem, the length of its hypotenuse - hence the length of the string - is sqrt(108^2 + 144^2) = 180 cm.

        8.

        Mr. Juari offers to play a card game with Mr. Sharabi using a normal deck of 52 cards. The rules of the game are that they will turn over two cards at a time. If the cards are both black, they go into Mr. Juari's pile. If they are both red, they go into Mr. Sharabi's pile. If there is one red and one black, they go into the discard pile. They repeat the two cards flipping until they have gone through all 52 cards.

        Whoever has more cards in their pile at the end wins. If there is a tie, Mr. Juari wins.

        What are Mr. Sharabi's chances of winning this game?

        Zero.

        If N red/black pairs are discarded, then there are 26-N red cards and 26-N black cards not discarded; these will all go into Mr. Sharabi's pile and Mr. Juari's pile, respectively.  Thus, every game will end in a tie, which Mr. Juari will win.