Re: [puzzles] time paradox!

  • Ankur Jain
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2003
      On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Vijaykumar Nayak (RBIN/EDS1) * wrote:
      > If everything in this world happens at twice the rate it is happening now....
      > is there a way of determining it through any experiment or logical deduction?

      Is it possible that everything in this worlds happens at twice the rate it
      is happening now?

      For example, consider 3 events A, B and C such that
      rate(A)=rate(B)*rate(C)

      Now, if the rates of B and C are doubled it means the rate of A is 4 times
      the initial rate (Not double!).

      So, there are two possibilities:
      -All the rate laws like the one above are no longer valid, and in this
      case it can be deduced that world is running at doubled pace.

      -If the rate laws remain valid everything in world can't happens at
      doubled rate.

      Ankur Jain
      __________________________________
      http://atom.ecn.purdue.edu/~jain18
    • Vijaykumar Nayak (RBIN/EDS1) *
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1 7:46 PM
        Well,
        the second interpretation is correct ....
        who knows...we might be living in a universe with fluctuating time scale!!

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2 4:26 AM
          Time, I believe, is not an absolute measure. To state your question in a naive manner, how can one be sure that his/her watch that ticked twice should have ticked once.

          The only measure that we have is speed of light. I suggest that you measure the speed of light and if it turns out to be half of the established value, your clocks are running twice as fast!

          Regards,
          Kashif S. Malik

          It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them. -- Mark Twain