Re: [puzzles] puzzle-1

  • Erhan Berber, MD
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2003
      More wine in the water bucket.

      Erhan

      --- jayprakash karotia <karotia@...> wrote: >
      Hi,
      > Expecting reply soon:
      > #There's a bucket of wine and a bucket of water and
      > you transfer a cup of wine to the water bucket, and
      > then a cup of the mixture back to the wine bucket.
      > Is
      > there more wine in the water bucket or water in the
      > wine bucket ?
      >
      > cheers'
      > karotia

      > http://search.yahoo.com

    • Pach
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2003
        Actually both are equal.

        Lets say wine bucket contains Xw amount of wine and water bucket contains Xh amount of water (Xw = Xh)
        Now a cup of wine (Cw)  is removed and poured in water, thus total wine is bucket is Xw - Cw.
        and bucket of water contains Xh + Cw.
        Now from this a cup is taken and poured back in wine lets say it contained Cw2+h2 amount of mixture, thus now we have
        in bucket of wine total liquid is ( Xw-Cw ) + Cw2+h2; and in bucket of water
        Xh + Cw - ( Cw2+h2)

        Thus total water in wine is h2 and total wine in water is Cw - Cw2; so now we have to compare h2 and Cw-Cw2
        Now since the volume of the cup remains same we have
        Cw = Cw2 + h2
        => h2 = Cw - Cw2

        Hence the amount of wine in water and water in wine is the same.
        > #There's a bucket of wine and a bucket of water and
        > you transfer a cup of wine to the water bucket, and
        > then a cup of the mixture back to the wine bucket.
        > Is
        > there more wine in the water bucket  or water in the
        > wine bucket ?
        >
        > cheers'
        > karotia

        > http://search.yahoo.com

        between digest and normal mode, or:

      • A. N. Khan
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2003
          Interesting puzzle.
          Assuming each bucket contains 9 cups - water in one and wine in the other.

          When you transter one cup of wine, 8 cups of wine are left but the water
          bucket content increases to 10 cups out of which only 1 cup i.e. 1/10
          is wine in the mixture. When one cup of mixture is transfered to the wine
          only 1/10 of the mixture contain 1/10th of  wine in the mixture in the cup
           goes  with the mixture and 1/9 th cup wine remians in the bucket.
          But the cup mixture contains 1/9 th cup water that goes to wine bucket.

          So after second transfer the wine content in water bucket and the
          water content in wine bucket are equal.

          Arif .

          jayprakash karotia wrote:
          Hi,
          Expecting reply soon:
          #There's a bucket of wine and a bucket of water and
          you transfer a cup of wine to the water bucket, and
          then a cup of the mixture back to the wine bucket. Is
          there more wine in the water bucket  or water in the
          wine bucket ?

          cheers'
          karotia

          http://search.yahoo.com

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/KXUxcA/fNtFAA/uetFAA/MXMplB/TM

        • Lance K Green
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2003
            Contents:

            1 Internet Message Header
            2 <no topic> * Binary *

            ========================== Begin Part 1 ===========================
            Topic: Internet Message Header

            =================== End Part 1 / Begin Part 2 =====================

            % Part 2 is binary

            ========================== End Part 2 =============================
          • R.Kesavan
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 16, 2003
              --both are equal. The reason is best illustrated in the following
              example. Shuffle a pack of cards without joker and halve into two
              such that one half contains only red suits and the other half only
              black suits. Now transfer four red cards into black pile and shuffle
              the black and red pile well and again effect transfer any four cards
              of the mixtured pile back to red pile. You will find it surprisingly
              that number of black cards in red piles equals exactly number of red
              cards in black pile. This explains your problem.
              R.Kesavan.- In puzzles@yahoogroups.com, jayprakash karotia