A few bits of news, and a warning

  • Harold Underdown
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2008
      After speaking at a couple of conferences recently about the state of
      the industry, I've posted a page of links to relevant articles:
      http://www.underdown.org/wik08-handout.htm

      For November, you will find some updates to the Who's Moving Where page, at
      <http://www.underdown.org/chchange.htm>http://www.underdown.org/chchange.htm

      I've joined the faculty for the Chautauqua Highlights conference, and
      you can find a link to it on the Conferences page at
      <http://www.underdown.org/conferences.htm>http://www.underdown.org/conferences.htm

      And a reminder--my class with Eileen Robinson, to run from January
      through March, is still taking registrations. Go to
      http://www.f1rstpages.com/ and click on "Mid-Winter Revision
      Bootcamp" for more information.

      My warning is for web site owners. The Purple Crayon was hacked
      recently, which I think happened when I used a network in a hotel to
      upload some files. The hack planted a file on the site that
      redirected visitors from search engines to a bogus anti-virus site
      that attempted to place some bad software on their computer. If you
      visit the site via a link or a bookmark, you weren't affected, and
      this only lasted from the early morning of the 16th to the afternoon
      of the 19th. It's a common hack though, and if you have a web site
      and have seen a surprising drop in traffic, it might be due to this
      hack.

      Enjoy your Thanksgiving,
      --

      Harold Underdown