RE: [pupiltransportation] Absenteeism

  • Davila, Samuel X
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2001
      Walt, currently we have a duel system, Financial Attendance Incentive and
      Attendance Policy. We reward perfect or near perfect attendance with a
      bonus and reward absenteeism with days off after they have used their 5
      state days (there are some exceptions, on the attendance policy, based on
      circumstances such as long term illness, surgery, etc). Our attendance
      policy is based off the number of runs or portions of runs they miss per
      semester, not days. They can miss up to 4 runs per semester and still get
      some part of the attendance bonus ($250 per semester).

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2001
        The North East ISD in San Antonio implemented an attendance incentive award.
        If a driver or assistant misses no AM or PM shifts during a month, they
        receive $50.00. If one AM or PM shift is missed during a month, they
        receive $25.00. If two or more shifts are missed during a month, no bonus
        is given. With perfect attendance for the year, it is possible to make an
        extra $500.00.

        Our attendance increased by about 15% since implementation of this program.

        Walt Nichols
        North East ISD
        San Antonio, TX

        How do you guys control absenteeism as far as what is considered excessive
        and worthy of a negative administrative action? I've always had a hard time
        with that since they get 10 days a year. How do you define a negative
        trend?

        This egroup is sponsored by the Texas Association for Pupil Transportation
        and the
        organization has paid the fee to remove advertisements on the messages. Web
        Site:
        http://www.tapt.com

        The pupiltransportation egroups web page is located at:
        http://www.egroups.com/messages/pupiltransportation

        This message has been scanned for viruses by
        SMTP-Server. Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:45:48 -0600

        This message has been scanned for viruses by
        SMTP-Server. Thu, 1 Nov 2001 08:33:15 -0600
      • trans10@nisd.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2001
          Walt,

          Here at Northside the attendance section of our policy book reads:

          "Unexcused absences up to 80 hours may be subject to oral and or
          written counseling.

          Unexcused absences in excess of 80 hours may be subject to written
          counseling and or suspension.

          Continuation of unexcused absences may result in termination."

          We also have the attendance stipend in place which has helped to some
          extent.

          We tried using occurances vs. hours, but didn't feel that was
          balanced due to some employees with mid-days, extensions,
          supplements, etc.

          Randy Z.

          --- In pupiltransportation@y..., "Prothro, Walter" <wprothro@t...>
          wrote:
          > How do you guys control absenteeism as far as what is considered
          excessive
          > and worthy of a negative administrative action? I've always had a
          hard time
          > with that since they get 10 days a year. How do you define a
          negative
          > trend?
        • Brenda S. Fernandez
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2001
            Goodmorning Dr. Prothro! On absenteeism, our district has a policy in the
            Personnel handbook that states 'the third absence in a 30 day period is
            considered excessive' and we remind of the polciy on the third, reprimand on
            the 4th. This year is the first time that I have had enough administrators
            to help me carry this through. You have to be consistent. We,too, have a ten
            day allowance, but this policy trumps the 10 day allowance. Attorneys tell
            me that if the absence is excused, then I may have problems terminating. I
            have asked for incentive pay, but have been told that since our famous wage
            and hour investigation, our district will not offer incentive pay to hourly
            folks stating that it was illegal! No one can show me proof that it is
            illegal, but if people above me won't move on it, I'm stuck. We do offer
            $1600 for teachers with perfect attendance. Good Luck! Hey, just for you
            Walt, I thought I would send a notice from our security department...

            We've been notified by Building Security that there have been 4 suspected
            terrorists working on our campuses. Three of the four have been apprehended.
            Bin Sleepin, Bin Loafin, and Bin Drinkin have been taken into custody.
            Security advised us that they could find no one fitting the description of
            the 4th terrorist, Bin Workin, at the campuses. police are confident that
            anyone who looks like he's Bin Workin will be very easy to spot!

            Hav a Great Day!

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2001
              Three years ago we switched to paying the drivers $50 and aides $30 for
              perfect attendance. This is paid monthly. If you miss even one run or
              shuttle you lose the bonus for the month. Prior to utilizing this system
              our absences were in the 10 to 15% range. After the new bonus system was
              implemented our average monthly absentee rate was as follows:

              1999-2000 5.54%
              2000-2001 4.96%
              2001-2002 3.85% This is for the month of August and September

              Prior to our current bonus system we were paying a bonus each semester. The
              bonus came out to just about the same dollar wise if you have perfect
              attendance as our present system. But with our present system if you have a
              bad month you still have a new start the next month.

              We are also currently fully staffed for the first time in years.

              Jaime Gallego
              Humble I.S.D.

              > The North East ISD in San Antonio implemented an attendance incentive
              award.
              > If a driver or assistant misses no AM or PM shifts during a month, they
              > receive $50.00. If one AM or PM shift is missed during a month, they
              > receive $25.00. If two or more shifts are missed during a month, no bonus
              > is given. With perfect attendance for the year, it is possible to make an
              > extra $500.00.
              >
              > Our attendance increased by about 15% since implementation of this
              program.

              > Walt Nichols
              > North East ISD
              > San Antonio, TX

            • Prothro, Walter
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2001
                thanks

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2001
                  How are you running you percentage of absenteeism? Are you going by each run
                  a driver misses or by a complete day? Please respond to
                  staylor452@...

                • Stanley Taylor
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2001
                    How are you counting you a run? Is it by AM or PM run or are you counting
                    all day for a run? Please respond to