Government Pension Offset of Social Security (GPO) and the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP),

  • Jaime Gallego
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2001
      If you are subject to the social security retirement offeset be sure and follow the links on the e-mail to send an e-mail to your Congressional Representative and two sentors. The links will give you all the information that you need.

      From my NEA-Retired magazine:

      Congress is again taking aim at repealing the Government Pension Offset of Social Security (GPO) and the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP), the two laws that reduce Social Security benefits for teachers. The GPO currently reduces a person's Social Security benefit by two-thirds if that person is also receiving a public pension from a state not participating in the Social Security system (except for those with 30 years of significant earnings in Social Security). Repealing the GPO is a top priority of NEA. The WEP changes the formula used to figure benefit amounts. Though the GPO and WEP impact public employees in virtually every state, the impact is most acute for those residing in 15 states: Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, Ohio, Rhode Island, and Texas.

      In July, Representatives Dennis McKeon (D-Calif.) and Howard Berman (D-Calif.) introduced H.R. 2638, the Social Security Fairness Act, backed by 28 cosponsors. The bill is currently in the House Ways and Means Committee.

      What you can do: Go to the NEA Legislative Action Center, www.nea.org/lac, and send an E-mail directly to your representative.
      Call your Representative's home state office and register your support of H.R.2638.
      Share information and concerns with neighbors and friends, speading the word about these unfair provisions and the fight to repeal them.

      I know most of you already know about these Social Security provisions. I've been relaying TSTA's information for at least 10 years now, but we do have some new members and some continuing members who weren't close enough to retirement to worry until this year. Maybe this time NEA will be able to get the law changed and we won't have to do the little tap dance through another job in order to retire with Social Security and TRS.

      Burnie