RE: [pupiltransportation] Disciplinary Actions

  • Prothro, Walter
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
      If they feel that suspensions are too extreme, then offer them the
      opportunity to pay for the damage done. You will quickly find that
      everything is too extreme. Come up with policies and let an accident review
      board decide. The board should at a minimum include, trans director or
      asst, maint supv, operations supv, safety officer, Trainer, and two senior
      drivers. Never invite the union to sit in.

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
        I would think that the union would add an element of excitement to the proceedings. They are such knowledgeable individuals.

        Mike Patterson, Corpus Christi

        >>> wprothro@... 10/02 8:16 AM >>>

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
          If excitement means adding conflict, irrelevance, confusion, stench, grime
          and sludge to the meeting you are correct. Call me if you want to know how
          I really feel.

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
            Daniel,

            It's not surprising that drivers would feel that suspensions were a little
            extreme. What do you do when a driver fails to post trip the bus and leaves
            a child on a parked school bus?
            Jolene Hawkins

            > If excitement means adding conflict, irrelevance, confusion, stench, grime
            > and sludge to the meeting you are correct. Call me if you want to know
            how
            > I really feel.

          • lbyork
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
              Walter & Mike . . .

              Believe me when I say that I'm not "pro union" and my 16 year track record
              as a trustee at North Harris Montgomery County College will bear this out,
              including "defense" at District (Houston) & 5th Circuit Court (New Orleans)
              re, NHMCC vs. AFT.

              However, it is the suggestion of "exclusion" (Walter) and the "judgement"
              (Mike) in your very public e-mail messages that tend to put us ALL ON THE
              DEFENSIVE.

              Hope this message is instructive.

              Brad

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
                Brad. I understand your concern and I appreciate your instruction. My key
                word was "invite". One of the biggest problems in school districts today is
                to allow people or organizations who have very little knowledge of the
                subject matter and even less understanding of routine procedural matters in
                on every discussion between management, supervisors and rank and file that
                they may want to attend. Corporations invite open participation only when
                when "required" as a management tool to keep someone else, that may in fact
                be a union, abreast of a situation that could result in controversial action
                or to get their approval/disapprovel or blessings/condemnation on an action
                that may become controversial. The controversy may not be worth the
                decision. They (uninvited participants/observers) are not part of any
                organizational management team and depending upon their orientation can
                become very distruptive to a metting (before or after) that would ordinarly
                be routine. I am not anti-union either. In fact I belong to ATPE. I did
                not intent to put anyone on the defensive and feel that if a person is doing
                their job right then they do not have to worry about any outside
                organization. I apologize for myself and Mike if anyone (including unions)
                took offense to our jestful banter and meant no harm, especially to any of
                our beloved unions. By the way Brad. Who or what organization do you
                represent?

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
                  Had to fix a couple of typos and to say that the below stated opinion is my
                  own and not that of any organization that I currently work for or represent
                  now, in the past or in the future.

[...]
                  not intend to put anyone on the defensive and feel that if a person is doing

                • Karen Schweiger
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
                    Bravo, Brad!

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000