News - Scol Buses/Advertising

  • John Ralph
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2009
      Bus ads earn national media
      Monday, March 30, 2009
      Luisa Hart

      Humble ISD and Steep Creek Media partnership reaches quarter of a million
      Less than six months after Humble ISD partnered with Steep Creek Media to begin selling ad space on school buses, the two have made national headlines. School bus advertising and Steep Creek Media were recently featured as the cover story in BrandWeek Magazine, as well as in three sister publications: AdWeek, MediaWeek and The Hollywood Reporter. The district and innovative media company also recently reached a $250,000 milestone. The district is the first in the Houston-Metro area to take advantage of the latest in advertising.

      ( http://ourtribune.com/article_images/7065.3.jpg ) “As more school districts like Humble ISD struggle to overcome budget deficits and provide exceptional educational opportunities to our children, new avenues of revenue have to be explored,” said Lynn Fields, spokeswoman for Steep Creek Media and a former Humble ISD trustee.
      Humble ISD Superintendent Dr. Guy Sconzo says the funds go directly into the district’s operating expenses fund.

      “They are helping to provide support for needed personnel, such as teaching positions,” he said. “Our partnership with Steep Creek Media has proven to be successful on all levels.”

      ( http://ourtribune.com/article_images/7065.2.jpg ) Last May, Humble ISD’s school board was facing a $17 million budget deficit for the 2008-09 school year. At the time, the district had already cut the budget by $8.8 million, and was considering cutting or reducing a number of programs, including middle school and sophomore sports, music and fine arts programs, school nurses and librarians.
      “As we worked through our 2008 budget process, we realized the need for additional sources of income,” said Dave Martin, Humble ISD Board of Trustees president. “We asked our citizens for a tax increase on the maintenance and operations side, but we also felt there was a chance to create additional opportunities to bring in revenue without adding a penny of expense, thus our partnership with Steep Creek Media.”

      Larry and Cynthia Shiflet, owners of Steep Creek Media, already had a van advertising campaign in place with the Village Learning and Achievement Center and approached the district about thinking outside-of-the-box in regard to the district’s financial crisis. The board put the project up for bid and Steep Creek Media was awarded the contract.

      Steep Creek has been hired by three additional school districts in the Houston area, and is in negotiations with several more.

      “We’re the first company in Texas to sell ad space on school buses,” said Cynthia Shiflet, who also owns The Tribune Newspapers. “It has been surprising to get the overwhelming response from districts around the state. We are looking for sales personnel across the city and Gulf Coast who’d like to help us support the schools.”

      Signs are placed on the buses according to state law and range in price from $175 to $350 per month. Steep Creek Media sends 60 percent of its gross revenue back to the districts.

      “We do it all: sell the signs, install them and collect the fees. All the district does is cash the checks,” Shiflet added.

      Steep Creek Media also has the exclusive right to sell all of Humble’s advertising: scoreboards, Turner Stadium events, signs in the schools, the District’s Web site, even the roof of Humble High School is available for an innovative advertiser.

      At the project kickoff press conference last August, Sconzo thanked representatives from Steep Creek Media for coming forward with a solution, which has the potential of bringing up to $1 million into the district annually.

      “Estimating that we will receive $250,000 is significant. That represents five to six teaching positions in our operating budget,” said Sconzo, adding that any revenue the district receives from advertising is revenue they otherwise would not have had.

      Parents are also glad to see the project garner success.

      “I feel the school bus ad program is such an innovative way to raise money for Humble ISD,” said Marilyn Mann, Kingwood Middle School PTA president and Humble ISD Council of PTAs student service chairwoman. “We are recognized by the state of Texas as being a leader in finding creative ways to help with the school finance situation. We are fortunate to have such caring and giving community partners such as Steep Creek Media to help boost the level of funds being raised for the children. It’s a win-win partnership all around.”

      Dozens of advertisers have committed to advertise on several of the district’s 280 buses, which travel hundreds of miles each week throughout the community. Many of the advertisers are local companies, looking for a way to give back to the community and help support the school district, and companies such as the Houston Astros, Geico, Goodson Honda and Kelsey Seybold are on the bus.

      Fields has called the business partners “local heroes” for their efforts to funnel dollars into the schools.

      “It is a wonderful way for area businesses to have a ‘moving advertisement’ while, at the same time, helping schools. I hope that all of us who see one of these school bus advertisements thank our local businesses for their help in supporting education,” said Fields.

      “One thing I am proud of is this board is not going to sit idly by and wait for the state to hand us additional dollars. We are going to continue to be proactive with our approach to the state legislators, as well as continue our work with folks like Steep Creek Media. Our relationship [with Steep Creek Media] is a true win-win,” said Martin.

      “We are excited to announce that we have the exclusive contract with Cy-Fair ISD, the third largest district in Texas. They have 1,000 buses that travel more than 3 million miles a year over 180 square miles. What a great and affordable way to advertise your business across north Houston,” Shiflet said.

    • Prothro, Walter
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2009
        A cohort of mine submitted the following comment:

        Well, as the old saying goes, desperate times call for desperate
        measures. However, I believe Ms. Shiflet is incorrect in her statement
        that they are "the first company in Texas to sell ad space on school
        buses," This option/provision has been in place and utilized by ISDs
        in Texas for the past 15 or 20 years. Wonder if any of this
        creative/innovative revenue will find it's way back to the
        transportation dept.?

        I totally agree with his comments. I seriously checked the
        programs out several years ago, and could not find a district happy with
        such a relationship, and few were making enough money to offset what it
        takes to do that job tastefully. Several were however using the
        authorized space on the buses to do in house/district advertising for
        programs, district information and in one case critical personnel
        shortages. I wish them success in the program. Would love for Humble
        ISD to keep us all updated on this. Might not hurt to have some of
        these media/advertiser types in our convention in June to talk about
        what they can and cannot and will and will not do.

        Walt

        Bus ads earn national media