News - Denton ISD/Alt Fuels

  • John Ralph
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2008
      Denton Record-Chronicle staff reports

      The Denton Independent School District will receive a $390,000 check
      today for using alternative fuels, including propane and biodiesel, in
      its buses.
      The special presentation will be made by Texas Railroad Commission
      Chairman Michael Williams at 2 p.m. at the district's transportation
      facility, 5093 E. McKinney St.
      Mr. Williams is presenting the district a check for $390,926.83,
      representing a $82,926.83 grant from the Commission's Propane OEM School
      Bus Rebate Program and a $308,000 reimbursement from Blue Bird
      distributor Rush Enterprises, based on the federal Alternative Motor
      Vehicle Tax Credit. The Rush reimbursements are the first in the U.S.
      for propane school buses.
      These awards follow a $267,309 Texas Emissions Reduction Program grant
      to the Denton school district from the Texas Commission on Environmental
      Quality for the purchase of 44 propane buses.
      "I'm proud to reward Denton ISD for making their yellow school buses
      greener," Mr. Williams said in a news release. "This is an instance of
      'Going Green and Saving Green.' Denton embraced propane as a fuel for
      the district's buses 13 years ago, and I commend them for their
      dedication to this clean fuel."
      In May, the district received the National 2008 Exceptional Energy
      Fleet Award from the Propane Educational & Research Council for
      "outstanding leadership in promoting alternative fuels." The district's
      bus fleet has 158 buses, more than half of which are powered by propane.

      "I think it's a great honor for the school district, but it*s more
      important to the students because they're breathing cleaner air on our
      buses and taxpayers are saving money because we're using propane," said
      school district spokeswoman Sharon Cox.
      Ms. Cox said the school district saves about $400,000 a year by using
      propane.