News - NISD/Bus Availability

  • John Ralph
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2008
      By TYESHA BOUDREAUX ( mailto:tboudreaux@... )
      The Daily Sentinel

      Wednesday, June 25, 2008
      Nacogodches ISD will no longer be able to allow non-district entities
      access to the district's school bus fleet due to insurance reasons,
      according to Linda Engle, NISD chief financial officer.
      During a recent NISD board of trustees meeting, Engle said that the
      district receives many inquiries from organizations to rent the school
      buses for transportation to different events, including camps and
      tours.
      "We try to stay involved in the community in lots of areas," she said.
      "In the past, we have accommodated that, but we're leaving ourselves
      exposed."
      In the past, the district has charged organizations a fee * which
      includes gas, mileage and payment for the drivers * to rent the buses.
      Recently, Engle was informed by the district's insurance company that
      if NISD rents their buses to an organization for a fee, they are not
      insured for that, and their insurance for that time of use becomes "null
      and void."
      "(Our) policy coverage is excluded; (we have) no coverage whatsoever,"
      she said. "We cannot rent our buses to other organizations and still
      have the coverage we need to protect the district."
      Because of the increased fuel costs and other factors, the district
      cannot afford to allow non-district entities access to the bus fleet
      without payment, Engle said.
      However, the district will continue to remain in partnership with the
      Boys and Girls Club.
      During the school year, the district's buses transport a number of
      students to the Boys and Girls Club after school * without charging the
      club a fee, Engle said.
      Because the state does not pay for miles driven outside of the
      "attendance zone," the district foots the bill for transporting their
      students to the Boys and Girls Club each day, she said.
      Engle said the district invests more than $15,000 a year to transport
      students to the Boys and Girls Club after school.
      "We're not recommending to discontinue that," Engle said. "It does cost
      us, but it is a worthwhile expenditure. A lot of them don't have places
      to go after school."