Re: [punetreewatch] Massive tree cutting on Durga Tekdi - Nigdi

  • Sameer Acharya
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 12, 2007
      There is no logical reason to cut down trees for
      growing lawns, its the weirdest thing I have ever seen
      till date(other one is chopping all branches in name
      of pruning).
      Also lawn mainenance is expensive in terms of water,
      fertilizer and manpower.
      Decorative plant saplings are expensive too(know this
      from my own experience). the only logic I can think of
      is lot of budget is being allocated for garden funds
      and someone is taking the people and municipal
      corporation for ride by selling decorative plants and
      redoing all the garden work. Wood fetches money too.
      Also when the garden has board that claims its
      reserved for biodiversity then how come trees are
      being cut for making lawns ? Its a broad daylight
      scam.
      The most effective protest method I can think of is
      find some "aam aadmi's" who owns grazing animals like
      goats/cows and let them use that lawn for animal
      feeds. Didnt see any board prohibiting cattles/goats
      etc.

      I personally dont know anyone from that area (except
      Rajiv now) and people are not very organized , also
      there is a fear of babus.
      -Sameer
      There is enough for mans need , but not enough for his
      greed.

    • Sameer Acharya
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 12, 2007
        This is my understanding of the ancient Indian
        culture, that trees were considered as avatars of
        gods. Thats the reason the tradition of worshipping
        trees like Vad(banyan), Audumber, Pimpal(peepal) etc
        started.

        Cutting down anyone of these holy trees was considered
        a crime equivalent to killing a holy person. I may be
        wrong but thats what my understanding is.

        In fact every person was required to plant at least
        one big tree in his/her entire life time to get relief
        from any sins committed.

        1. Audumber - Lord Dattatreya,
        Gurudev(Brahma+Vishnu+Mahesh).
        2. Peepal - Lord Shiva and his ganas.
        3. Vada - Lord Vishnu (not sure)
        4. Tulsi - Goddess Laxmi
        5. Brahmakamal(flowering plant) - Brahma+Vishnu+Shiva

        Dont know of all the list but this is the list I have
        been told since childhood.

        Same thing in all other religions too including
        Buddhism,Christianity and Muslims.

        Keep a count of trees being cut and who is doing it
        and who is giving permission, I dont want to take up
        their bad karma on my head, for each his own.

        PTW is doing an excellent job trying to save trees,
        apart from environmental aspect you are following the
        good path according to our culture too.

        -Sameer

        "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
        nothing." Edmund Burke

        -Sameer
        http://in.groups.yahoo.com/group/indiaenergy/join

        Never miss an email again!
      • anchal
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 26, 2007
          Hello Samear Dhume, Samear Acharya and rest of members
          i had just written that firday morning suits me but just got to know one importatn meeting got fixed for firday morning so will not be able to make on friday moring.
          Called up Mr. Nikal Deo and he says we could come to the nursery on Thursday 8am, he will open it for us early.
          That way we can all get back to work too.
          If it does not suit u guys just get back and we can fix a mutually convinent date and time.
          Sorry about the confusion.
          rgds
          Anchal Sondhi
          Background if u did not get my previous email

          Original email
          Hello Samear Dhume, Samear Acharya and rest of members
          Was linking with garden detp. Mr Ghorpade to visit their nursery, but its getting delayed and delayed.

          So decided to go their on my own.
          Add:
          Mhati Shinde Udyan, Smairti Van Nursery
          In Walkewewadi on B'bay Pune rd
          Opposite to Hero Honda Showroom and close to the rivers edge.
          contact person Mr. Nikal Deo -gardener who lives there itself.
          M-98231-44353
          timings official 9am to 5pm
          but best is to call him and fix a timing.

          Idea is to find out saplings of trees which they can spare and are healthy with at least 4-5ft tall.
          Also Indian as far as possible.
          Fruit trees like   Jaumun is there.
          Imli -Tamrind  will be there but since its growth is very slow usually not planted along rd
          Mr. Ghorpade is giving me list of saplings of trees available there, but he adds it will be not of much use as one still does not get an idea of
          -size of sapling and its health.

          I wish to go on Friday 30th some time in morning earlier the better.
          Let me know who all will like to join me.
          rgds
          Anchal Sondhi
          Pune Tree Watch
          Kalpavriksh
          Apt. 5 Shree Datta Krupa
          908 Deccan Gymkhana
          Pune 411004, India
          Tel Mobile 98230-53374
          Tel/Fax: 91-20-25654239; Tel: 91-20-25675450
          Email:anchal.tree@...
          www.kalpavriksh.org