RE: [Pune-Java] Charting The Future Of The Pune Java User Group

  • Vipul Agarwal - Zend Consulting Services
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 19, 2009
      Dear All,

      I am recruiter on this forum (did i hear some gasps) since its inception. Used to have good interaction with Satish in those years as I am from a technical background myself. My vote too is against the idea of designations. I am one of the founders and managers of a not-for-profit HR body where we are running the organization with some 8000 members without any designations. We are six founders of the group and all of us have divided some responsibilities informally amongst ourselves. What Ashish says resonates with me strongly.

      Having said this, the idea itself is a very positive thought. For one, it got out a lot of people to respond on the group. There is a huge potential in the idea and I am ready to provide support in whatever way I can - though I am in Mumbai.

      Lets not kill the idea of reviving of the group - the Pune IT community (professionals and employers) will benefit from it tremendously. We saw it earlier when there were organizations ready to host this groups meeting and organizations ready to provide product information. Once the community develops - there will be a potential to develop the members at no cost or minimal cost.

      Lets go with it...

      Vipul Agarwal

      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 20, 2009
        Thank you all for your participation in this discussion.

        @Saager - I am fine with creating a committee after a couple of meets and after we have put some faces to names. Thanks for the offer to host a meet in Dec.

        I believe that unless there is a core team driving the thing, it is unlikely to sustain beyond 4-6 months.

        I don't quite understand why designations will be a problem. It's not like the the office bearers will be heading  BCCI and would have crores at their disposal. We can keep the office bearers term to just 1 year so that a lot of people will get an opportunity to learn & drive a community, while they also give a tiny boost to their resumes.

        If one wants to contact a company for say space for a meet, free tshirts, free CDs ... or maybe the press, wouldn't it be easier if he is  'President - Pune Java' rather than 'A java developer from Pune'.

        I think the people driving the thing will get lot more done if they have designations. A very important point to note is that the office bearers will become accountable to the community.

      • Saager Mhatre
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 20, 2009
          On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Harshad Oak <harshad.lists@...> wrote:
          @Saager - I am fine with creating a committee after a couple of meets and after we have put some faces to names. Thanks for the offer to host a meet in Dec.

          You're welcome :)

          I believe that unless there is a core team driving the thing, it is unlikely to sustain beyond 4-6 months.

          I disagree. I've been to a few bosug, bojug & bfpug meets and they do just fine without managerial structure.

          I don't quite understand why designations will be a problem. It's not like the the office bearers will be heading  BCCI and would have crores at their disposal. We can keep the office bearers term to just 1 year so that a lot of people will get an opportunity to learn & drive a community, while they also give a tiny boost to their resumes.

          Just my $0.02 of pop-psy, but I believe that designations shift guilt. Right now, about 200 Java users in the city are guilty about not having organized a meet; once you designate 4 people to be responsible for this, the remaining 196 have less of a reason to feel guilty.

          If one wants to contact a company for say space for a meet, free tshirts, free CDs ... or maybe the press, wouldn't it be easier if he is  'President - Pune Java' rather than 'A java developer from Pune'.

          Not really, most of this comes through personal contacts. TW Pune ended up hosting the OSDG, Ruby FunDay and several BarCamps out of people having met individual TWers and kept in touch with them.

          A very important point to note is that the office bearers will become accountable to the community.

          IMHO, it works better when each one of us feels individually accountable to the community.

          Having personally helped organize several events at ThoughtWorks (both internal and external), I understand why you feel the need to impose specific accountability, but I've seen those structures fail all too often.

          Parting note:
          I've seen Conway's Law prove its case so many times that I don't shy away from using it as a guideline.
          So if we, as a community, do choose to appoint a committee to manage this group, I'll be seriously disappointed.

          --
          Saager Mhatre
        • ashishkulkarni_uk
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 20, 2009
            Hi Harshad,

            As you can see, vast majority are opposed to the idea. And if we push something that the vast majority are opposed to, we end up alienating the majority.

            As the current group owner, I would not be in favour of that.

            I can see where you are coming from with regards to accountability. Yes, there needs to be some accountability.

            For approaching companies for freebies, we can simply mention that their brand will be displayed by over a 1000 people. Are they interested in such free publicity? I am sure most businesses will jump at such an opportunity.

            What I can say from my experience is that if people get something out of a group, they are more likely to put something back in.

            I heard someone was looking to organise meetings. Can we start the process with kicking off the first meeting please?

            I would like people to discuss how they want to take the group forward. I am happy to nominate one person in-charge of organising the meetings. And one more person can take on the task of maintaining the online content at www.pune-java.com.

            Any volunteers?

            Best Regards,

            Ashish.

            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 20, 2009
              My offer to host a meet on the 5th of December still stands. Could one of the mods please set up a poll on our Y! Groups group to register their intent to attend? Or make me a mod so that I could do that? :P
              Thanks

              On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 5:54 PM, ashishkulkarni_uk <ashishkulkarni@...> wrote:

              Hi Harshad,

              As you can see, vast majority are opposed to the idea. And if we push something that the vast majority are opposed to, we end up alienating the majority.

              As the current group owner, I would not be in favour of that.

              I can see where you are coming from with regards to accountability. Yes, there needs to be some accountability.

              For approaching companies for freebies, we can simply mention that their brand will be displayed by over a 1000 people. Are they interested in such free publicity? I am sure most businesses will jump at such an opportunity.

              What I can say from my experience is that if people get something out of a group, they are more likely to put something back in.

              I heard someone was looking to organise meetings. Can we start the process with kicking off the first meeting please?

              I would like people to discuss how they want to take the group forward. I am happy to nominate one person in-charge of organising the meetings. And one more person can take on the task of maintaining the online content at www.pune-java.com.

              Any volunteers?

              Best Regards,

              Ashish.

              --- In pune-java@yahoogroups.com, Harshad Oak <harshad.lists@...> wrote:

              > Thank you all for your participation in this discussion.
              >
              > @Saager - I am fine with creating a committee after a couple of meets and
              > after we have put some faces to names. Thanks for the offer to host a meet
              > in Dec.
              >
              > I believe that unless there is a core team driving the thing, it is unlikely
              > to sustain beyond 4-6 months.
              >
              > I don't quite understand why designations will be a problem. It's not like
              > the the office bearers will be heading BCCI and would have crores at their
              > disposal. We can keep the office bearers term to just 1 year so that a lot
              > of people will get an opportunity to learn & drive a community, while they
              > also give a tiny boost to their resumes.
              >
              > If one wants to contact a company for say space for a meet, free tshirts,
              > free CDs ... or maybe the press, wouldn't it be easier if he is 'President
              > - Pune Java' rather than 'A java developer from Pune'.
              >
              > I think the people driving the thing will get lot more done if they have
              > designations. A very important point to note is that the office bearers will
              > become accountable to the community.

              --
              Saager Mhatre
            • Harshad Oak
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 20, 2009
                Hi,

                Please note that there are votes on javapune@googlegroups as well.

                The current standing is Plus 5 & Minus 4. Not sure if Navin's vote is a plus or minus.

                Let the vote run till maybe Monday end of day and then let's take a call. 9 votes is anyway a paltry figure for a group of 1000. Our voting % are even worse than the recent state elections :-)

                If we are not having a committee, there are a lot of topics we need to discuss. Perhaps starting with which web group / forum to create/keep & which ones will terminate / redirect to the main group.  Who would own  / moderate etc.

                My current status is -
                1) Moderator pune-java @yahoo (Moderators on yahoo have surprisingly few rights apart from message approval).
                2) Owner javapune@googlegroups

                @Saager - IMHO, if guilt were to lead to action, with over a 1000 guilty on board, the Pune JUG should never have gone inactive. I think that many regret that Pune does not have an active JUG but very very few have the time & enthusiasm to contribute to the activity.

                I would be happy if the JUG were to thrive, with committee or no committee. It's just that IMHO and based on past experiences; I believe that without a driving force, it won't sustain.

                - Harshad

              • Ashish Kulkarni
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 20, 2009
                  Hi Harshad,

                  I am not sure what this voting is for. If it is to setup designations, my firm belief is that these are just for vanity and are not going to serve any real purpose. But if you want to be called the President of Pune-Java and it makes you happy, go for it.

                  Hi Saager,

                  Please feel free to kick-off meetings and do let me know if you need any help.

                  Dear all,

                  Are there any members in UK running a business and looking for help with their business? If so, please contact me.

                  Best Regards,

                  Ashish.

                  On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 5:54 PM, ashishkulkarni_ uk <ashishkulkarni@ hotmail.com> wrote:
                   Hi Harshad,

                  As you can see, vast majority are opposed to the idea. And if we push something that the vast majority are opposed to, we end up alienating the majority.

                  As the current group owner, I would not be in favour of that.

                  I can see where you are coming from with regards to accountability. Yes, there needs to be some accountability.

                  For approaching companies for freebies, we can simply mention that their brand will be displayed by over a 1000 people. Are they interested in such free publicity? I am sure most businesses will jump at such an opportunity.

                  What I can say from my experience is that if people get something out of a group, they are more likely to put something back in.

                  I heard someone was looking to organise meetings. Can we start the process with kicking off the first meeting please?

                  I would like people to discuss how they want to take the group forward. I am happy to nominate one person in-charge of organising the meetings. And one more person can take on the task of maintaining the online content at www.pune-java. com.

                  Any volunteers?

                  Best Regards,

                  Ashish.

                  --- In pune-java@yahoogrou ps.com, Harshad Oak <harshad.lists@ ...> wrote:

                  > Thank you all for your participation in this discussion.
                  >
                  > @Saager - I am fine with creating a committee after a couple of meets and
                  > after we have put some faces to names. Thanks for the offer to host a meet
                  > in Dec.
                  >
                  > I believe that unless there is a core team driving the thing, it is unlikely
                  > to sustain beyond 4-6 months.
                  >
                  > I don't quite understand why designations will be a problem. It's not like
                  > the the office bearers will be heading BCCI and would have crores at their
                  > disposal. We can keep the office bearers term to just 1 year so that a lot
                  > of people will get an opportunity to learn & drive a community, while they
                  > also give a tiny boost to their resumes.
                  >
                  > If one wants to contact a company for say space for a meet, free tshirts,
                  > free CDs ... or maybe the press, wouldn't it be easier if he is 'President
                  > - Pune Java' rather than 'A java developer from Pune'.
                  >
                  > I think the people driving the thing will get lot more done if they have
                  > designations. A very important point to note is that the office bearers will
                  > become accountable to the community.

                • Dhananjay Nene
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 20, 2009
                    Jumping in a little late on this one .. but here's my thoughts.

                    Activating and recharging the group : +100
                    Designations : Avoidable. Makes sense to go with the decision being made based on the preferences of the people who are ready to commit time, energy and effort to the activity. However I don't believe a designation is required or makes things easier (even for getting CDs, TShirts etc.) or that designation encourages either commitment or accountability. Having said that there is already a precedence where the List Administrator (for the yahoogroup) identifies one person different from everyone else and allows URLs to be inserted at the end of each mail in the mailing list. So that makes the case to treat everyone equally and not have designations and privileges a little harder ??

                    Dhananjay
[...]

                    blog: http://blog.dhananjaynene.com
                    twitter: http://twitter.com/dnene
                  • Harshad Oak
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 20, 2009
                      Hey, Where did that come from??? Do you really think this is about me wanting to be President Pune Java? ROTF

                      I dread that there might be others thinking on similar lines. Also as we are nowhere near consensus, pushing for a majority based decision anyway seems improper. So I would like to humbly withdraw my call for a vote. Thank you all for your comments & participation.

                      Ok... So now that the vote & committee thing is out of the way, what next?

                    • priyankomnipotent@gmail.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 20, 2009
                        Hey,

                        We could start calling for ideas in terms of reviving Pune Java meet.

                        From my previous UG experiences, I think UG's want 'Gyan' and some time to chit-chat on a 'Particular technology', kind of a BOF. I guess we could start with the Java Group and consider everyone's take on this. The best way to go about it is, have the first meet discuss the roadmap, and this way we could have a community view on 'how to shape it'.

                        Through this, we know the community and we know what's in store for coming month's as we can pick 2 speakers (1 confirmed and 1 backup) for every month.

                        Regarding the date, i guess 5th Dec is ok, but we also have Clubhack on the very same day, which should not affect the meet as they are separate domain all together.

                        Cheers,
                        Priyank

                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 20, 2009
                          Hi Saager,

                          I will get you to become a Moderator of Pune-Java. Thanks for offering.

                          Can you please organise the next meeting?

                          Please publish a rough agenda, date and time.

                          Best Regards,

                          Ashish.

                          My offer to host a meet on the 5th of December still stands. Could one of the mods please set up a poll on our Y! Groups group to register their intent to attend? Or make me a mod so that I could do that? :P
                          Thanks

                          On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 5:54 PM, ashishkulkarni_ uk <ashishkulkarni@ hotmail.com> wrote:

                          Hi Harshad,

                          As you can see, vast majority are opposed to the idea. And if we push something that the vast majority are opposed to, we end up alienating the majority.

                          As the current group owner, I would not be in favour of that.

                          I can see where you are coming from with regards to accountability. Yes, there needs to be some accountability.

                          For approaching companies for freebies, we can simply mention that their brand will be displayed by over a 1000 people. Are they interested in such free publicity? I am sure most businesses will jump at such an opportunity.

                          What I can say from my experience is that if people get something out of a group, they are more likely to put something back in.

                          I heard someone was looking to organise meetings. Can we start the process with kicking off the first meeting please?

                          I would like people to discuss how they want to take the group forward. I am happy to nominate one person in-charge of organising the meetings. And one more person can take on the task of maintaining the online content at www.pune-java. com.

                          Any volunteers?

                          Best Regards,

                          Ashish.

                          --- In pune-java@yahoogrou ps.com, Harshad Oak <harshad.lists@ ...> wrote:

                          > Thank you all for your participation in this discussion.
                          >
                          > @Saager - I am fine with creating a committee after a couple of meets and
                          > after we have put some faces to names. Thanks for the offer to host a meet
                          > in Dec.
                          >
                          > I believe that unless there is a core team driving the thing, it is unlikely
                          > to sustain beyond 4-6 months.
                          >
                          > I don't quite understand why designations will be a problem. It's not like
                          > the the office bearers will be heading BCCI and would have crores at their
                          > disposal. We can keep the office bearers term to just 1 year so that a lot
                          > of people will get an opportunity to learn & drive a community, while they
                          > also give a tiny boost to their resumes.
                          >
                          > If one wants to contact a company for say space for a meet, free tshirts,
                          > free CDs ... or maybe the press, wouldn't it be easier if he is 'President
                          > - Pune Java' rather than 'A java developer from Pune'.
                          >
                          > I think the people driving the thing will get lot more done if they have
                          > designations. A very important point to note is that the office bearers will
                          > become accountable to the community.

                          --
                          Saager Mhatre

                        • Mahesh Sharma
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 21, 2009
                            Hi,

                            +0 from me!

                            Missed the topic :( Got very minimalistic internet access ATM.
                            How about using the word "Role" instead of designation?
                            We can have someone as a co-ordinator who will represent Pune-Java
                            whenever need arises.

                            We should meet and discuss more over this !

                            @Saager, can we postpone it to 12th December? I have exams till 9th.

                            --
                            With Regards,
                            Mahesh Sharma