Pump hose calculations 1000 Cp!

  • risk.builder
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 23 9:32 AM
      I hope you all can help me with what will be simple for a pump expert.
      I have a fluid with a 1000 centapoid thickness and want to pump 3 gpm through a 50' 3/4 hose. I need the 3 GPM at 40 PSI at the Nozzel tip to be successful as the nozzel is rated at 3gpm at 40 psi.

      I am thinking a diaphragm pump 1" will do the trick but with the thickness I am not sure and need proof.

      Thanks for helping me out. Neat site!
    • Jacques Chaurette
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 23 12:26 PM

        Please pose your question to the forum .

        Jacques Chaurette, P. Eng.

        http://www.pumpfundamentals.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 23 12:33 PM
          Sorry, that was a mistake, I am sure someone will respond appropriately to you.

          Jacques

          --- In pumpfundamentals@yahoogroups.com, Jacques Chaurette <jchaurette@...> wrote:

          > Please pose your question to the forum .

          > Jacques Chaurette, P. Eng.
          >
          > <http://www.pumpfundamentals.com> http://www.pumpfundamentals.com
          >
          > _____

        • Jerry Lemons
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 23 12:41 PM

            Oh Good. I do hope so.

            Warmest regards,

            Jerry

            Jerry Lemons,  ASGCA Associate

            Golf Links, Inc. - President

            Lee Trevino Golf Design - Senior Design Associate

            325 Hurst Drive

            Old Hickory, Tennessee 37138 U.S.A.

            615-847-8877 Phone

            866-954-9246 fax

            www.LemonsGolfDesign.com

            www.Trevinogolf.com

            jlemons@...

            SKYPE: Lemonsgolfarchitect

                                                  asgcalogo2

            Member of the American Society of Golf Course Architects

            ggdcgsm

            Member - GLOBAL GOLF DESIGN CHINA GROUP http://www.globalgolfdesignchinagroup.com

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 23 12:49 PM
              Hi Jerry, can you tell us a bit more about the application, what you are trying to do and why? Is the equipment existing?

              What is the internal diameter of the hose, can you go bigger?

              I think you will likely need some sort of positive displacement pump, the pressure required will likely be quite high for the viscosity.

              Cheers,

              Jacques

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 23 1:00 PM

                OK, here is the scoop.

                I am trying to apply a isocyanate with a pump and 50’ hose. Were just spraying gravel and the ISO glues it together. The rate of 3 gpm is one we thing works pretty good and fast for an application timing. A nozzle we chose just fan’s the material out from a stream to a fan.

                The iso is 1000 cp thick.

                THE chosen ID of the hose is .728 inches. I could go bigger but the seems anything bigger gets bulky to handle. A diaphragm pump Ingersol rand ARO 1” has been in discussion as well as a drum pump.

                Warmest regards,

                Jerry

                Jerry Lemons

              • Jacques
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 23 1:23 PM
                  OK, here's the thing. You want to keep 40 psi at the nozzle, that's 40 *2.31 = 92 ft assuming water density, what is the density of this solution by the way?

                  I am assuming that you are not changing elevation with your hose end and therefore there is no static head to consider.

                  Then we need to calculate the friction loss for 50' of hose at that flow rate and viscosity. Hopefully someone will volunteer to do that. If not I will do it.

                  The friction loss plus 92 ft will be the amount of head that your pump will have to generate.

                  Jacques

                  --- In pumpfundamentals@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Lemons" <jlemons@...> wrote:

                  > OK, here is the scoop.
                  >
                  > I am trying to apply a isocyanate with a pump and 50' hose. Were just
                  > spraying gravel and the ISO glues it together. The rate of 3 gpm is one we
                  > thing works pretty good and fast for an application timing. A nozzle we
                  > chose just fan's the material out from a stream to a fan.
                  >
                  > The iso is 1000 cp thick.
                  >

                  > THE chosen ID of the hose is .728 inches. I could go bigger but the seems
                  > anything bigger gets bulky to handle. A diaphragm pump Ingersol rand ARO 1"
                  > has been in discussion as well as a drum pump.
                  >

                  > Warmest regards,
                  >

                  > Jerry
                  >

                  > Jerry Lemons

                • Jerry Lemons
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 23 1:33 PM

                    Specific Gravity (water = 1) is 1.08 according to MSDS. Trying to confirm this is what you are asking.

                    No elevation change expected. Assume no static head.

                    Thank you so much for your help.

                    Warmest regards,

                    Jerry

                  • Jacques Chaurette
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 23 2:37 PM

                      Yes, this is what I was asking.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 23 5:05 PM
                        Jerry, the friction loss for 50' of hose at 3 gpm, 1000 cP, 0.73" ID is 310 ft of head, if we add 85 ft which is the required pressure (40 psi at 1.08 SG) at the nozzle we get 395 ft or 185 psi taking into account the SG. Don't think you can get that out of a diaphragm pump, you may need a piston pump or perhaps a small peristaltic or lobe pump.

                        Jacques

                        --- In pumpfundamentals@yahoogroups.com, Jacques Chaurette <jchaurette@...> wrote:

                        > Yes, this is what I was asking.
                        >

                        > Jacques Chaurette, P. Eng.
                        >
                        > <http://www.pumpfundamentals.com> http://www.pumpfundamentals.com
                        >
                        > _____

                      • Jacques
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 25 5:42 AM
                          dOES THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION? dO i GET A THANK YOU OR ANYTHING APPROACHING THAT?
                          --- In pumpfundamentals@yahoogroups.com, "Jacques" <jchaurette@...> wrote:

                          > Jerry, the friction loss for 50' of hose at 3 gpm, 1000 cP, 0.73" ID is 310 ft of head, if we add 85 ft which is the required pressure (40 psi at 1.08 SG) at the nozzle we get 395 ft or 185 psi taking into account the SG. Don't think you can get that out of a diaphragm pump, you may need a piston pump or perhaps a small peristaltic or lobe pump.
                          >
                          > Jacques
                          >
                          > --- In pumpfundamentals@yahoogroups.com, Jacques Chaurette <jchaurette@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Yes, this is what I was asking.
                          > >

                          > > Jacques Chaurette, P. Eng.
                          > >
                          > > <http://www.pumpfundamentals.com> http://www.pumpfundamentals.com
                          > >
                          > > _____

                        • Jerry Lemons
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 25 1:06 PM

                            Jacques, I am very grateful for the help and sorry about the delay in thanking you. I have not been close to a computer until now.

                            It has taken me 9 months to get this and I really appreciate your help.

                            If you  provide me your address I’ll send you some Tennessee treats!

                            Warmest regards,

                            Jerry

                            Jerry Lemons,  ASGCA Associate

                            Golf Links, Inc. - President

                            dOES THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION? dO i GET A THANK YOU OR ANYTHING APPROACHING THAT?
                            --- In pumpfundamentals@yahoogroups.com, "Jacques" <jchaurette@...> wrote:

                            > Jerry, the friction loss for 50' of hose at 3 gpm, 1000 cP, 0.73" ID
                            is 310 ft of head, if we add 85 ft which is the required pressure (40 psi at 1.08 SG) at the nozzle we get 395 ft or 185 psi taking into account the SG. Don't think you can get that out of a diaphragm pump, you may need a piston pump or perhaps a small peristaltic or lobe pump.

                            > Jacques

                          • Jacques Chaurette
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 25 2:46 PM

                              Jerry, you are welcome.