RE: [pumpfundamentals] suction head

  • Jacques Chaurette
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010

      Jumail, this question makes no sense, please re-phrase it.

      Jacques Chaurette, P. Eng.

      http://www.pumpfundamentals.com

      From: Juned Ansari <juned.ansari@...>
      To: pumpfundamentals@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, August 26, 2010, 4:06 PM

      Hi Jumail,

                Can you please make things a little clear as to what do you mean to say?

      Regards,

      Juned Ansari

      Secure Meters Limited

      Assistant Manager

      p: +91 9665586331

      NBI-Water

      p: +91 9422161420

      Energy Auditor (EA-9789)

      Aurangabad

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010
        Jumail, you don't seem to understand that your question does not make sense. Most of us do not want to try to figure out what you are saying and then answer the wrong question.

        Explain what you are trying to achieve this will help.

        your moderator

        Jacques

        --- In pumpfundamentals@yahoogroups.com, Jacques Chaurette <jchaurette@...> wrote:

        > Jumail, this question makes no sense, please re-phrase it.
        >

        > Jacques Chaurette, P. Eng.
        >
        > <http://www.pumpfundamentals.com> http://www.pumpfundamentals.com
        >
        > _____

      • Jumail Soba
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 3, 2010
          I will make a sketch for my question, i hope can make clearer ..

          thank you

          Jumail, you don't seem to understand that your question does not make sense. Most of us do not want to try to figure out what you are saying and then answer the wrong question.

          Explain what you are trying to achieve this will help.

          your moderator

          Jacques

          --- In pumpfundamentals@yahoogroups.com, Jacques Chaurette <jchaurette@...> wrote:

          > Jumail, this question makes no sense, please re-phrase it.
          >

          > Jacques Chaurette, P. Eng.
          >
          > <http://www.pumpfundamentals.com> http://www.pumpfundamentals.com
          >
          > _____

        • Jumail
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 17, 2010
            I want to take measurements of electric power used by a pump. By default, the measurement of electric power consumption from a pump to do when the pump is operated at maximum total head (Figure A).

            The problem is, we do not have a testing facility that is "well" and "tower". According to information from a friend, the maximum total head of a pump can be achieved by adjusting the pressure and vacuum on the discharge and suction of the pump. This methods based on a formula, the head can be converted into units of pressure (bar / psi) and also a vacuum unit (inch Hg / cmHg)(Figure B).

            Location of file (Figure A and Figure B) : http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EC6TTH6Ow7lBRCi57qnEqrcFQnaF72BGr4qmNtOpj_VpG5LpE9RoqAFdvzFfzzyJie8JWJ9pvhF0SUWtaLJ6FytOu1FUEzWhjv3iscX21Q/Pump%20test%20figure.doc

            I need advice from the members and moderators mailing list about this method, whether this method can be scientifically acceptable. thank you very much for the answer.

            regards,

            jumail soba.

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 27, 2010
              Is there someone can give me advise ?

              thank you,

              Jumail Soba

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 5, 2010
                Hello, does anyone understand this problem?

              • Juned Ansari
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 5, 2010
                  Dear Jumail,

                  What I understood is that you want to access the performance of the pump but don't have the tower and well. Instead, you will provide flooded suction to the pump and will control the pressure by adjusting the gate valve on suction side. Similarly you will adjust the position of the gate valve on the delivery side to reach the desired duty head. If this is what you meant, than the method seems correct.

                  Other learned members can throw more light on this.

                  Thanks!

                  Regards,
                  Juned Ansari
                  Energy Auditor (EA-9789)
                  NBI-Water
                  +91-9422161420
                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 7, 2010
                    Dear Juned,

                    yes, that's what I mean. Because the electric power consumed by the pump will be different at each total head of the pump is operating. Therefore, when measuring input power, the pump is operated at the maximum total head shown on the marking (for the unfavourable condition).

                    How your opinion about using following formula
                    to determine the amount of pressure exerted on the discharge side :

                    P = m x g / A = V x p x g / A = A x h x p x g / A = h x g (cmH2O)

                    P = pressure
                    m = mass of water
                    g = gravitation 9,8 m/s2
                    A = Cross sectional area of pipe
                    V = volume of pipe
                    h = height of pipe
                    p = rho = specivic mass of water = 1 gr/cm3

                    so, if dischrage head are 15 meters, the pressure gaugeset at the discharge head are :

                    P = 15 x 9,83 = 147,45  cmH2O = 147,45/100 = 1,47 kgf/cm3

                    and if suction head are 10 meters, the vacuum gauge set :

                    = 10 x 9,81 = 98,1
                    cmH2O = 98,1 / 7,35559 cmHg = 13,33 cmHg

                    Thank you very much for your response.

                    Besr regards,
                    Jumail Soba

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 7, 2010
                      Dear Jumail,

                      For a normal centrifugal pump (not axial flow or vertical turbine unit), the power characterstics are of increasing nature with flow i.e. power increases with flow. So, at maximum head the power consumption would be minimum. What you can do is you can run your pump at the desired duty head and get the power requirements at duty condition. You can then add some 10% margin or so depending upon the application to arrive at the safe motor rating.

                      As far as formulas for conversion from head to pressure is concerned, they are fine. You can throttle the pump till it reaches the desired pressure on the gauges. It is worthwhile to note that with your pump, your motor may trip; if it has interlocks for excess current, or else may burn out, if you don't have the interlock as your pump would be running extremely to the right of the curve initially before throttling.

                      I hope I am correct. Members, may please comment.

                      Thanks!

                      Regards,
                      Juned Ansari
                      Energy Auditor (EA-9789)