CORRECTION: Understanding the Different Methods of Online Promotion

  • Stone Evans - The Home Biz Guy
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2003
      ~
      Title: Understanding the Different Methods of Online Promotion
      Author: Stone Evans, The Home Biz Guy

      Article URL:
      http://www.home-business.com/nav/articles/12.html

      Article Autoresponder:
      mailto:online_promotion@...

      Author Contact Email:
      mailto:webmaster@...

      Formatted to 65 Characters per Line
      Word Count: 818 words

      Publication Rules

      This is a Free-Reprint article. The only requirements for
      publishing this article are:

      * You must leave the resource box unedited.
      Minor editing to the article is permitted.
      * You may not use this article in UCE (Unsolicited Commercial Email).
      Email distribution of this article must be opt-in email only.
      * You must forward a copy of the ezine or newsletter that
      contains the article inside to the author at:
      mailto:webmaster@...
      * If you post this article on a website, you must set the
      links up as hyperlinks, and you must send us a copy of
      the URL where the article is posted.

      Understanding the Different Methods of Online Promotion
      Copyright � Stone Evans, The Home Biz Guy
      http://www.Home-Business.com

      Did you realize there are only three types of online
      promotion?... This statement may seem odd and even untrue in
      your mind, but I am speaking in more general terms than you
      might be thinking.

      Let me explain.

      The three types of promotion are Junk, Active and Passive
      promotions.

      JUNK PROMOTIONS ARE MONEY PITS

      Junk promotions are those that seem to produce results, but by
      their very nature are really only illusionary promotions.

      For example, let me begin with FFA (Free For All) pages. You
      might find yourself subscribing to a submission program that
      tricks you into believing you are submitting your links to tens
      of thousands search engines.

      According to the Open Directory website, they have only approved
      1705 search engines and directories for inclusion in their
      database (http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Searching/).

      I like using the DMOZ directory as an example because submitted
      links are tested by human beings with integrity, for the honesty
      used in site description. Search Engine Watch and other search
      watchers tend to show fewer than these 1705 engines, primarily
      because a lot of the engines provide very little value.

      Yes, you can submit your URL to a FFA page, but FFA's usually
      only permit 100 or 1000 links on their page at any one time. So,
      if ten thousand people are submitting a link to an FFA page on a
      daily basis, then the average life of your link is between seven
      minutes and 144 minutes. I suspect the actual number of
      submitters is much higher and the results are much worse. Given
      that few people surf FFA pages, the chances of your submission
      being of any real value is practically nill!

      Most of the people telling you that you can submit your site to
      tens of thousands of search engines are truly only submitting
      your site to FFA pages! Beware of the false promises.

      Another junk promotion method is Safe Lists. A safe list is a
      mailing group that is signed up to be received by people who
      want to submit their own ads. Now, most safe lists have
      thousands of subscribers who are able to submit their ads daily
      or weekly. The person signed up to receive the list will receive
      anywhere from twenty to 140+ messages a day from the list. These
      messages will be received by people only interested in promoting
      their own thing who do not have the right motivation to open,
      let alone read Your Advertising. As a result, thousands of
      messages go out daily or weekly that will never be seen by
      anyone but the sender of the ad. Where is the value in that?
      There is none.

      ACTIVE PROMOTIONS

      Active promotions are the type that require you to go out on a
      daily basis or a weekly basis and put out your advertisements.
      With active promotions, you will either place your advertising
      or you will not sell your products or services. Your choice is
      simple --- work or starve.

      Examples of active promotions include Pay Per Click Search
      Engines (PPCSE's), Direct Email, Ezine Advertising, Solo Ezine
      Ads, Newsletter Publishing, Ezine Ad Swaps, Classified Ads,
      Auctions, Site Sponsorship and Banner Ads.

      Some people are able to utilize these methods very productively,
      while others are destined to drop their money into the
      bottomless pit of failed Internet promotions.

      PASSIVE PROMOTIONS

      Passive promotions are those promotions that can continue to
      provide results for you long after you have invested the work to
      make them available to the Internet community.

      Examples of passive promotions include: Search Engine
      Optimization, Link Exchanges, Articles, Ebooks, Content
      Exchanges and Writing Testimonials for others.

      Let's look at articles as a solid example of my point.

      You are reading an article that I have written to promote my own
      business. This article is timeless and therefore could have been
      written five years ago and still have been as valuable as it is
      today.

      Due to the fact that the article is timeless, it can and will be
      placed in newsletters/ezines and their accompanying online
      archives, on websites and in ebooks for many more years to come.

      As a result, this article will continue to serve me well beyond
      the time in which I wrote it and submitted it to publishers and
      webmasters for public consumption and publication.

      This is the best example I can give you of an excellent passive
      promotional method.

      AVOID THE MONEY PITS

      Many try and even fewer succeed to conquer the Internet and to
      produce their dreams of online wealth.

      My hope is that you will be one of the people who conquer the
      challenges before you and to make a nice living while working
      online. It will take drive, determination, study plus trial and
      error, but you can make it work for you.

      Please continue to educate yourself so that you can avoid the
      money pits - instead, strive to find the money barrels. It can
      be done. I am living proof.

      Resource Box:
      Stone Evans owns the "Home Business Resource Directory" where
      you can find everything you'll ever need to start, run and grow
      a home business at: http://www.Home-Business.com

      For more articles by this author, please visit:

      http://ThePhantomWriters.com/free_content/c/index.shtml#Stone_Evans