Shy People Are a Blessing

  • Dr Jeannette Kavanagh
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2010
      A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Dr Jeannette Kavanagh

      Article Title:
      Shy People Are a Blessing

      Article Description:
      A person who is shy always comes across as having a charm
      that is singularly missing in most people. Instead of that
      often brash over-confident person who just loves the sound
      of her or his own voice, the shy person seems to live and
      breathe more softly.

      Additional Article Information:
      ===============================

      Distribution Date and Time: 2010-12-22 11:00:00

      Written By: Dr Jeannette Kavanagh
      Copyright: 2010
      Contact Email: mailto:jeannette@...

      Dr Jeannette Kavanagh's Picture URL:
      http://www.calmingwords.com/images/jk nov 06.jpg

      For more free-reprint articles by Dr Jeannette Kavanagh, please visit:
      http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/dr-jeannette-kavanagh.html

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/k/overcome-shyness.shtml#get_code

      Shy People Are a Blessing
      Copyright (c) 2010 Dr Jeannette Kavanagh
      Conquer Public Speaking Fears
      http://www.conquerpublicspeakingfears.com/

      I mean it. In a world of brash, egomaniacal extroverts, it's
      simply wonderful to meet a shy person. Someone who is a little
      bit diffident about telling you how wonderful s/he is. A person
      who is shy always comes across as having a charm that is
      singularly missing in most people. Instead of that often brash
      over-confident person who just loves the sound of her or his own
      voice, the shy person seems to live and breathe more softly.
      They're the ones who listen more attentively. Shy people defer
      to others, and don't enter the daily battle to dominate the
      airplay in conversations.

      That's from the point of view of someone who is not shy. Through
      my counseling Practice, I know that many people wish they were
      not quite so shy.

      In my counselling Practice, I've met many clients who whose
      shyness is to them, a daily burden. It is something that makes
      them feel uneasy at College because they're worried they'll be
      called on to speak in a lecture room. And of course sometimes at
      school, College or work, we are required to make presentations to
      groups of people. It's in situations like that that shyness can
      be a challenge. It's also something that can be easily overcome.

      A most useful website and support information... The most
      impressive website I've found is Dr Renee Gilbert's site
      www.shakeyourshyness.com . Think about visiting her
      information-packed website. Dr Gilbert brings to the site two
      great assets. First, she is herself a 'recovering' shy person.
      Read why she uses the term 'recovering' to describe herself.
      Secondly, she is a fully qualified Psychologist with years of
      experience in helping people to manage their shyness.

      Overcoming Your Shyness

      When we talk about overcoming your shyness, it's not an illness
      that you have to battle. Part of the wonderful diversity among
      the human race is that we have quiet and calm people who are
      happy in their own company, through to quite extroverted people
      who need others around them all the time. We rarely if ever see
      the confident extrovert as having to overcome her or his
      extroversion. In the case of shypeople, their introversion is not
      any sort of problem except if it causes them any level of
      unhappiness.

      If for example, a shy person avoids going to parties and
      consequently feels lonely and isolated, then of course they'll
      have to develop ways to feel more confident about going to social
      gatherings. Dr Renee Gilbert states that "there is one thing
      most shy people have in common - sooner or later, most of us
      struggle with a lack confidence in our social skills because our
      shyness causes us to avoid precisely the kinds of situations that
      would help us learn to refine our skills. Instead of getting
      better with time, we get worse through lack of practice.
      Therefore, I strongly recommend that whatever program you choose
      include an element of social skills training or practice".

      For an interesting insight to shyness written by someone who is
      comfortable with her shyness, consider reading this article by
      Caroline Knapp
      http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/1999/03/05feature.html

      In terms of actually overcoming your shyness, it will be a matter
      of degree. It may well be that if you're shy, you'll always be
      at least a little bit shy. With mindful social skills training
      and sometimes with Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) you can learn
      to re-write the script about how to feel a little less
      uncomfortable in social situations. For my part, I do understand
      that shyness can make life a bit more challenging but please
      let's not create any more bombastic extroverts.

      As with any problem in your life, finding a solution will involve
      you taking what I call baby steps. That is, you might try to feel
      less shy and uncomfortable in one situation. Then, when you feel
      more comfortable in a situation that had previously been
      difficult for you, extend that gradually to other situations -
      one little step at a time. And remember: be kind to yourself. If
      you seem at times to regress rather than improve, accept that you
      are only human and a wonderfully multi-faceted one at that. You
      are never simply the things you decide are your weaknesses. As I
      said in the title of this article, what you consider a weakness
      others find a delightful blessing.

      Dr Kavanagh works in Melbourne, Australia to help people
      overcome their public speaking fears. Jeannette has helped
      thousands of people overcome their fear of public speaking.
      For more information, visit her website:
      http://www.conquerpublicspeakingfears.com/
      Sign up for a FREE Public Speaking Success program.

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/k/overcome-shyness.shtml#get_code

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Dr Jeannette Kavanagh can be reached at:
      jeannette@...

      for Print Permission at:
      mailto:jeannette@...

      Article Marketing Ebook at:

      *
      *
      * publisher_network@yahoogroups.com
      *

      ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

      are owned and operated by:

      Bill Platt
      3010 E Raintree
      Stillwater, Oklahoma USA 74074

      and opinion of its author, Dr Jeannette Kavanagh
      http://www.conquerpublicspeakingfears.com/