Re: [publicartistforum] Translucent exterior material?

  • Debra Ruzinsky
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 5, 2012
      Hi Lynn,
      Below are links to 3 very different people who make glass signage.  Maybe something will work for you?  All are very skilled at their crafts.

      http://www.johnstudden.com/
      http://www.amristudio.com/
      http://www.lakich.com/

      Best Wishes,

      Debra Ruzinsky

      On Feb 5, 2012, at 3:07 PM, lynnbasa@... wrote:

      Thanks, Joanie — I have their sample kit and have looked into 3Form.  As far as I know they don't make a product that will hold up to an exterior application.  I wish!
      Lynn

      From: Joanie San Chirico <joanie@...>
      Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 13:01:51 -0700
      To: "publicartistforum@yahoogroups.com" <publicartistforum@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [publicartistforum] Translucent exterior material?

      Lynn, look at http://www.3-form.com/
      They have a lot of outdoor applications on their website. I have some of their product here in my home and studio, but haven't worked on a project yet for a client. One of these days, I love this stuff.

      Joanie

      Joanie Gagnon San Chirico
      Art for Public (and private) Spaces
      joanie@... | www.joaniesanchirico.com
      studio 732.506.6636 | cell 732.610.4499

      On Feb 5, 2012, at 1:46 PM, Lynn wrote:

      I'm the lead artist on a public art commission for a movie theater marquee and I want the blade to be made out of a translucent material (glass or...?) that can be lit from within to glow.  I don't know enough about these kinds of materials to know what would work best, but I'm sure some of you do.  Any help would be appreciated!

      Thank you,
      Lynn Basa

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         publicartistforum-digest@yahoogroups.com
         publicartistforum-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Debra Ruzinsky
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 5, 2012
        You may also want to look up:

        Gordon Heuther (architectural glass, based in Northern California)
        Joel Berman Glass (architectural glass, based in Canada)
        Warren Carther (architectural glass, based in Canada)
        UltraGlas (architectural glass, based in Southern California)

        Best,

        Debra

        From: Joanie San Chirico <joanie@...>
        Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 13:01:51 -0700
        To: "publicartistforum@yahoogroups.com" <publicartistforum@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

      • Joanie Gagnon San Chirico
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 5, 2012
          They have a bunch of outdoor applications on their site.. here are some:

          http://www.3-form.com/installations.php?instid=1424&advref

          http://www.3-form.com/installations.php?instid=1424&advref

          http://www.3-form.com/installations.php?instid=1366&advref

          http://www.3-form.com/installations.php?instid=1135&advref

          lots more too.

          From: Joanie San Chirico <joanie@...>
          Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 13:01:51 -0700
          To: "publicartistforum@yahoogroups.com" <publicartistforum@yahoogroups.com>

        • lynnbasa@lynnbasa.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 5, 2012
            Wow, Joanie, thanks!
            Lynn

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 5, 2012
              Hi Lynn,

              I've been told that translucent polyethylene is a good material for exterior uses. Some types have a better UV resistance than others. I have talked to a pair of artists who use it, and they buy tanks and either cut them up or re shape them, usually with inner lighting that makes them glow at night.

              Regards,
              Rachel

              On Feb 5, 2012, at 2:49 PM, "lynnbasa@..." <lynnbasa@...> wrote:

              Wow, Joanie, thanks!
              Lynn

              From: Joanie San Chirico <joanie@...>
              Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 13:01:51 -0700
              To: "publicartistforum@yahoogroups.com" <publicartistforum@yahoogroups.com>

              =
            • lynnbasa@lynnbasa.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 5, 2012
                I'm intrigued!  Do you have images I could look at of those artists' work?
                Thanks,
                Lynn

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 6, 2012
                  You can probably just google them, joe o'connell and blessing hancock of Tucson AZ.
                  Another option to research is traditional sign making materials. Possibly a company that makes translucent fiberglass shapes.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 6, 2012
                    "Clear & Translucent" sheeting comes in many many different polymer types...
                    I would go to a good plastic retailer and talk to the most experienced guy there...
                    acrylic is one option, but can tend to "cloud" over time... (maybe thats not a problem for your translucent needs...

                    [Lynn, because we are pals, I am going to share my super secret "GO TO" for all information material related...EVER!
                    McMaster-Carr... Mcmaster.com... search for "clear plastic sheets"... you can link up to a great Primer on your materials...
                    Here I learn all sorts of really great things... from the types, sizes and physical characteristics of a variety of options of what I am looking to buy... I ALWAYS speak to a professional afterwards, but, It does make me feel like I can talk intelligently on the subjects...
                    I never really buy from them, because over the years, I have found cheaper sources, and I have occasionally felt they were a bit rude for my liking... but it IS a great source of information!!!]

                    one thing to keep in mind, is that there are different ways that the light can travel and project from the plastic...

                    I will use as an example those old "fiber-optic" flower tchotchkes... you know the ones I am talking about? from maybe 20 years ago? it was basically clear fishing line in the form of a flower arrangement that they projected colored light at one end, and the other end was a pretty flower arrangement that cascaded through a variety of colors...
                    sound familiar?
                    (I found a sample on the web here: http://blinkee.com/Images/Fiber-Optic-Flower-Centerpiece.gif)

                    anyway... so the idea there is to get the bulk of the light to travel the length of the plastic and "show-up" at the sanded ends of the plastic...
                    as opposed to... the WHOLE thing kind of having a even glow...

                    so... I guess, the question is, not knowing much about your project...
                    are you trying to "highlight" parts of the plastic, or are you wanting to have the whole thing glow?
                    is it back lit? or side lit?

                    You may find better light transmission (especially if it is going to be side lit as opposed to back lit) by using a clear plastic that has been sanded or "surface treated" for translucence - rather than a translucent sheet that is probably "milky"

                    Anyway... Again... a really good plastic guy is going to be able to help you well... I used to have one I could suggest but, he retired!

                    Hope that was helpful!
                    Tom Walker
                    http://sites.google.com/site/tomwalked/

                    Lynn wrote:

> [...]
                  • Benny Shaboy
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 6, 2012
                      For outdoor work, polycarbonate is often used, as it is much tougher than
                      acrylic sheet (Plexiglas, et al.); in fact, it is used as "bulletproof" glazing
                      but can be sandblasted or machined;. A good cheap source for many plastics is US
                      Plastic <www.usplastic.com> in Ohio. Quick service, too. You could probably talk
                      to them about your needs. I use them for a number of things in my other life as
                      a sculptor and recommend them.

                      Benny

                    • lynnbasa@lynnbasa.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 10, 2012
                        Thank you all for the outpouring of information in response to my question about translucent material I could use outdoors for a theater marquee I've gotten myself into designing!  I had no idea so many people were looking at this site, for one thing.  I love you guys!!

                        Lynn

                        --
                        Lynn Basa
                        Basa Projects, LLC